Rough Idle, Shaking, And Check Engine Light

TexasPthFnder95

Ok so today my truck started shaking severly at start up and had a very rough idle and the check engine light would light up the after about 15 seconds it would clear up light would go off and truck would be normal :scratchhead: I really need some help with this its got me stumped i even changed the battery ground because it was almost corroded in half (the wire) i thought it could have something to do with it but apparently not...

Any trouble codes stored in the ECU?

I havent checked it yet it just started doing this today. And do you mean checking it with a scanner? Or is there another way, sorry ive never had engine troubles before but its probaly something to expect at 231,000mi :doh:

Sounds like what my truck was doing a little while ago. I checked codes (pinned thread in garage, go look) and came up with 51 injector circuit. I waited till I had a 1/4 tank left, put 2 bottles of injector cleaner in and haven't had a problem since.

Yes, you read the codes by counting the blinking lights on the ECU and then looking them up on a chart. Not the most convenient, but you don't need any tools or equipment to do it, just the code list. That is the best place to start most of the time...

B

Yes, you read the codes by counting the blinking lights on the ECU and then looking them up on a chart. Not the most convenient, but you don't need any tools or equipment to do it, just the code list. That is the best place to start most of the time...

B

Thanks for the help :aok: but where can i get the chart?

Mine was the 51 injector circut i changed the battery ground and connections and put fuel injector cleaner and octane booster haven't had problems with it again... I hope its good to go and it was just a random malfunction

Edited by TexasPthFnder95

with the truck running you should be able to press up under the EGR valve ( press on the diaphragm), when it is pressed up it should change the idle, if the diaphragm doesn't move that would be a problem as well

• 1 month later...