So now what!?

spotana98

So I started to get up under my beast (1991 V6 Pathy) and remove the starter and low and behold, some asshat managed to shear off both bolts that hold the starter on. Mind you, I spent $150 for this vehicle 3 years ago and swapped out tranny, and since then have only done oil changes and has ran like a champ. SO, I'm here asking if anyone has successfully removed ONLY the solenoid from the starter while everything is still mounted up. I know this is a daunting task (if possible) and I know that my only other option is to remove the engine and go at it with a tap and die set, so that's not really viable. :) Does anyone have any ideas short of rallying this thing off a cliff?

was there any meat left on the bolt at all? or just sheared off clean at the block?

Nosir, sheared off right into where the bolts go into the starter. It's sad really, because other than the starter, she runs great, I'm just not competent enough nor have the facilities to pull an engine. One thing I didn't think of till now though. Are those botls threaded all the way to the block or tranny housing. It's a longshot, but I wonder of the starter could be slid off the bolts....hmmm....

thats what i was going to recommend. the starter bolts, i believe, threads into the trans case. if you can get the other bolt out, it should slide right off. course i don't know how much space you have to work with under there. if you can get it slid back even a half inch or better, you can grasp that sheared bolt with some vise grips and go at it backing it out. then slide the starter back up and pull that bolt out. none the less, its gonna be a pita which ever way you take. :thumbsdown:

Wait a minute...the starter bolts slide through two holes in the trans bell housing and thread directly into the starter. If the bolt heads are sheared off the starter should basically fall out. Have you tried smacking what's left of the bolts thru the mounting holes from the rear? That should pop the starter out the front since the mounting holes aren't threaded or am I missing something?

They slide thru holes in the trans bell housing from the rear and thread into the starter. If the heads are gone all you really have are studs that are threaded into the starter housing with non-threaded ends sitting in non-threaded holes in the bell housing. It should kinda pop right off.

Yup. Bolts go through the bell housing towards the front of the truck and thread in to the starter. So like was said, if the bolts are broken the starter should fall out with little or no persuasion...

Yup. Bolts go through the bell housing towards the front of the truck and thread in to the starter. So like was said, if the bolts are broken the starter should fall out with little or no persuasion...

You guys and your logic! HAHAHA. Okay, so maybe I'm the dumbass then and was trying to get at them from the front of the starter where I thought they were facing the firewall. So what you're saying to me is there is a threaded bolt that runs through the bell housing and into the starter, and that the bolt head is on the side with the bell housing, facing forward? I'm a little red in the face. It just seems every tutorial I've seen, I got the assumption that the two bolts were facing the back of the truck...

so if I read this right, you are looking at the ends of the bolts that are threaded through the flange on the starter. The bolt heads are on the tranny housing and accessed from the back. Sounds like there is not a problem.

FAIL :lol:

Spotana98, don't worry about it man, even though I, and I'm sure others, are having a good laugh at this, we've all failed from time to time. Check out, (and maybe add this story to) the Self-Depreciation Alley thread.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3050&st=0&p=23280&hl="Self%20Depreciation%20Alley"&fromsearch=1entry23280

Definitely feeling the burn on that one. :FartExplode-vi: Although I feel that a real fail would have been giving up and not coming here after the two years since I was last here, and just assuming I would have to carry a rod to bash the starter every time to get going (I hate that). On a kinder note, I replaced the control arm bushings on my Vue this past weekend, without asking even one stupid question, so there's that. :wackinit: These emoticons are going to be the death of me.