brake question

wilson

The other day I was driving way too fast down a dirt road when I discovered that my brake pedal went right to the floor! I hadnt' replaced the rear brake line since I lifted it and was waiting for the new line in the mail. I pinched the line quite badly and assumed that was the culprit. the line arrived and I replaced it and the master cylinder as it was leaking from the firewall side. now I gravity the system as suggested by the FSM:

bench bled the new master cylinder

abs/load sensor( gravity bled)

-drivers rear

-Pass rear

-pass front

-drivers front

- re-gravity bled the ABS unit.this resulted in a firm pedal.

heres the question. there is now more "play" in the pedal. meaning the active part of the stroke is further down. while the pedal is firm when it finally reaches said portion, it is a bit worry some. what could be the cause of this ???

I have four wheel disc.

all the rear lines are braided steel. the fronts are stock. I thought about the balloning effect. I have felt the lines while someone was standing on the brakes. I saw/felt no balloning.

what about the "plunger" that comes out of the booster? is this adjustable in some way?possible to elongate it so as to engage the master cylinder earlier? what would it feel like if the booster was going bad?

Edited by wilson

There is an ajuster attached to the break pedal. If your new MC plunger is even 1/16 shorter or longer your pedal could feel 1/2" longer or shorter (lever effect)

I have mine ajusted so that I am applying just the right ammount of brake when I slide my heel over to the gas for a downshift anda seamless transiton from disc brakes to engine breaking.

Anyway I know it is commonly recomneded to Benchbleed MC's and let them soak overnight before bench bleeding again and installing...