What can I expect to pay for a clutch job?

Clutch can cost $800-$1500 depending on labor costs and how much is replaced. It isn't terribly hard, just time consuming and you usually need an alignment afterwards.

The tranny can just be scooted back and the clutch disk/pressure plate put in, all the way to completely removing the tranny, resurfacing the flywheel, replacing the rear main seal and throw out bearing, etc.

It pretty much depends on the condition of things, how long you plan to keep the vehicle and how much you believe in PM. I prefer to be thorough with something like this as I don't consider pulling the tranny a casual afternoon job...

PS if you do it yourself, you can replace everything for about $300-400 in parts/supplies

B

Clutch can cost $800-$1500 depending on labor costs and how much is replaced. It isn't terribly hard, just time consuming and you usually need an alignment afterwards.

The tranny can just be scooted back and the clutch disk/pressure plate put in, all the way to completely removing the tranny, resurfacing the flywheel, replacing the rear main seal and throw out bearing, etc.

It pretty much depends on the condition of things, how long you plan to keep the vehicle and how much you believe in PM. I prefer to be thorough with something like this as I don't consider pulling the tranny a casual afternoon job...

PS if you do it yourself, you can replace everything for about $300-400 in parts/supplies

B

Thanks for the information. That is a pretty penny for a clutch job! I think I'll sell the thing before I spend that money on it.

I bought a complete clutch kit (friction plate, pressure plate, bearing, alignment tool, grease) for under $100. Flywheel would be another $50 or so. The main thing is the labour for sure (had my engine out already so it was easy, except for the part where I forgot to put the plate that goes between the engine/transmission on before I locktited the flywheel bolts on.

I bought a complete clutch kit (friction plate, pressure plate, bearing, alignment tool, grease) for under $100. Flywheel would be another $50 or so. The main thing is the labour for sure (had my engine out already so it was easy, except for the part where I forgot to put the plate that goes between the engine/transmission on before I locktited the flywheel bolts on.

Oh damn! :ohmy:

Thanks for the information. That is a pretty penny for a clutch job! I think I'll sell the thing before I spend that money on it.

That's the problem with keeping old cars and trucks running. Every major thing that goes wrong is going to cost what the truck is worth to fix. You either love your old Path and pay to fix it, or get something newer.

I spent almost $1500 to put new tires on my year and a half old Z 2 months ago at 18,000 miles. $1500 every 18,000 miles for a normal wear out item ouch! A $1500 clutch looks cheap.

I guess my point is newer is not always better just more expensive to maintain. As a Pathfinder fan I hope you take a leap of faith and fix your truck.

It's all in the labor, you have to remove the T-bars and crossmembers (frame and exhaust).

I've never seen a clutch kit that cheap!! I went with OEM and replaced everything incl the fly wheel and paid around $350 for everything, including brake cleaner, hydraulic fluid, etc.

No need to sell it, just do it yourself...

B

I spent $130 for an Exedy kit from Ebay. It's well known that they make Nissan clutch assemblies, and honestly $300-350 for the "Nissan" name is supidly ridiculous.

It;s a relatively cheap job to do if you do it yourself.

I've never seen a clutch kit that cheap!! I went with OEM and replaced everything incl the fly wheel and payed around $350 for everything, including brake cleaner, hydraulic fluid, etc.

It was a Sachs kit from RockAuto. I think the Exedy kit was $150.

That's the problem with keeping old cars and trucks running. Every major thing that goes wrong is going to cost what the truck is worth to fix. You either love your old Path and pay to fix it, or get something newer.

I spent almost $1500 to put new tires on my year and a half old Z 2 months ago at 18,000 miles. $1500 every 18,000 miles for a normal wear out item ouch! A $1500 clutch looks cheap.

I guess my point is newer is not always better just more expensive to maintain. As a Pathfinder fan I hope you take a leap of faith and fix your truck.

Thank you for that word of encouragement!