Balljoint replacment Tips/Tricks ?

chrisgerman1983

I am planning on changing my balljoints this weekend, does anybody have any advice? even things that may seem obvious to most! In the haynes manual is says to drop the axle. is it easier to just remove the CV's?... if somebody could pretty much walk me through it, it would be much appreciated. I usually would have a mechanic do this kind of thing but money is tight so its time to get my hands dirty :aok:

Edited by chrisgerman1983

Remove Autohub and assembly, basically just to remove the snap ring but easiest to pull the few small pieces out and keep them safe/clean.

The upper ball joint is much easier than the lower.

a 27mm castle nut holds the lower one on, I would assume the same for the upper, and of course with a castle nut, is a cotter pin.

4 12mm bolts hold the upper to the hub assembly.

4 12mm (might be 14) bolts with nuts hold the lower BJ to the lower control arm.

Once the upper ball joint is unbolted you should be able to wiggle the cv out enough to get the lower ball joint out, careful not the bind up the brake line!

Thanks for the help. read the haynes again and doesnt actually say to drop the whole thing just says to remove the CV. im gonna do like you guys said and just pull it out enough to free the balljoint. i didnt know i had upper balljoints though, maybe i should be replacing them too??

Hey guys... you're giving false infos here... he has a 98.... there is no auto hub, or upper-lower balljoints... only one ball joint per side and only one control arm...

folow what adamzan said.. just remove the snap ring and it will be easier if you have an helper to pull on the strut/hub assembly while you remove the balljoint....

Got it all done. realized pretty quick i had no upper balljoints :) i just undid the snapring and the tierod ends (replaced them too) hardest part was lining up the 3 control arm bolts after, well that and trying to remove the tierods and balljoints with out a seperator :headwall: i got the fork type. I had to walk to the parts store though.

I like the fork type if I am not going to be reusing the balljoint as it is a way to relieve stress at the same time hahaha.

One thing ill add...when i did mine, i bought lifetime guarentee...they didnt come with cotter pin they came with nylon locking nut instead. The ball joint would turn before i could get it torqued down tight enuff. When i test drove it, it still clunked. Put it up on jacks, wiggled tire, had play in ball joint, manual suggested worn out knuckle (oval hole to receive ball joint stud) When i went to replace the whole knuckle thats when i noticed the one new BJ wasnt tight. I had to use a "C" clamp to clamp the BJ down in its seat to get eneff resistance to have the BJ nut torqued to spec!!!!! STUPID NYLON NUTS!!!!

tye

One thing ill add...when i did mine, i bought lifetime guarentee...they didnt come with cotter pin they came with nylon locking nut instead. The ball joint would turn before i could get it torqued down tight enuff. When i test drove it, it still clunked. Put it up on jacks, wiggled tire, had play in ball joint, manual suggested worn out knuckle (oval hole to receive ball joint stud) When i went to replace the whole knuckle thats when i noticed the one new BJ wasnt tight. I had to use a "C" clamp to clamp the BJ down in its seat to get eneff resistance to have the BJ nut torqued to spec!!!!! STUPID NYLON NUTS!!!!

tye

:thumbsdown: i wonder if my knuckle is worn too? it still clunked a little after but it wasnt bad. it has been getting worse though. may have to try the C-clamp and retorque. So does the ball inside the joint actually spin as you were tightening it? How did you get a c-clamp on it good with the balljoint shaft getting in the way?