Jacks and Their Use

bmitchell

My Pathfinder is a 94 SE with the sport tires and stock suspension.

It did not come with a jack. I have tried using my smallish (it wasn't small for my D21) hydraulic jack and it just doesn't have enough lift even with several boards beneath. I am looking for a jack (probably scissor) that will extend far enough, but I was wondering if the stock SE skid bars were strong enough to be used in conjunction with a high lift. If so I'll probably just go that route.

Ben

yeah, those silly step bars.

Can put hundreds of pounds of downward force on it, but the moment any upward force is applied, they taco.

The stock pathfinder jack gets my truck high enough to change a tire, should definitely get something hydraulic, not even sure if you could find a scissor jack that could handle that much weight and still be safe.

Get a bottle jack with at least 18" of travel and you will be golden. Most scissor jacks that I have seen are garbage. I'm, sure you couldfind a stock nissan bottle jack if you ask/look around...

B

i still use my factory bottle jack, but now I need to put it on top of one of these deck blocks to give me enough lift:

13604.DECK_4.jpg

you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a pathfinder jack in the junkyard

Edited by nige

Craftsman makes a great bottle jack that goes a good amount higher than the stock bottle jack, and it's not much bigger. If you're wanting something small to keep in the truck for changing a tire, i'd recommend that route.

Only 23 bucks

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_9990000031871911P?prdNo=18&blockNo=18&blockType=G18

Edited by zeppelindrummer

If you can, find a bottle jack that extends the piston and also has a twist top that screws out. The one I have does this, and you can unscrew the top to literally double the upward travel of the piston it's self.