92 bogging at start up

gas92

hello,

please help!!!

so I have a 92, auto,that seams to bogg when i start it up and drive away. step on the gas like normal, and it boggs, if i romp on it it bogs, but if I push on the peddle about half way,off, on, off, on, it starts to go, but will bogg after this to, just for mabe a minute. it seems to drive fine after. it is getting worse, kinda had some poping noise come from the front, i think through the intake,only sometimes, but always goes away after a minute.

Ive changed and cleaned, plugs,wires,fuel filter,tb cleaner,egr valve,injector cleaner,idle air valve, just sprayed it out, with tb cleaned, coil, computer from junk yard, altanator, mass air flow, spraied with tb cleaned. and the tb control, i took off, but didnt know how to clean, so replaced it with a good running motor, no change, with any of these things. lots of air released when gas cap is opened. while driving there is a gas smell once in a while???

not sure what other easy things to check, im out of ideas!! the battery was dead a few times in a week, so i changed the alt. but same problem, could the battery be almost shot?? Not holding a good charge??

what is a easier way to chech the injectors. without pulling the plugs??

well thanks for any help, it been going on for so long :wacko:

I would guess temp sensor. The ECU adjusts the fuel ammount based on temperature. When the engine is "cold" it tells the injectors to spit out a bit more fuel to warm it up faster. Also, a popping noise like a backfire through the intake is definitely related to the temp sensor. FYI it is the one with the yellow connector at the front of the engine. It could be the wires going to it too.

Edited by Indigent

I would guess temp sensor. The ECU adjusts the fuel ammount based on temperature. When the engine is "cold" it tells the injectors to spit out a bit more fuel to warm it up faster. Also, a popping noise like a backfire through the intake is definitely related to the temp sensor. FYI it is the one with the yellow connector at the front of the engine. It could be the wires going to it too.

thanks alot for the help, I went out and checked it, the wires seame to be fine, started it unpluged the sensor to see if there was any differance, but couldnt tell.

what way could i check to see if it is the sensor?? or check

tyhanks again

Also, a popping noise like a backfire through the intake is definitely related to the temp sensor. FYI it is the one with the yellow connector at the front of the engine.

It hasn't really gotten cold enough in my area yet but I remember hearing this on some cold morning starts last winter after my truck sit all night. Not constantly but just 2 or 3 pop pops right as the engine cranks to life on a cold morning. I've just chalked it up to a 206k engine but I think I'll change this sensor out before cold weather sets in.

Thanks for the advice.

A long shot, but what about the fuel filter?? Has it ever been changed?

B

ya, I changed the filter to. I started it and unpluged the temp sensor, and it stalled out, does this mean the sensor is fine??

Did you check for engine trouble codes? The temperature sensor is probably less than $20, so if you suspect it, might want to just replace it, but could be something else...

i was thinking about that. theres no engine light on, I dont even know if theres a light in there,lol

as it is right now, there is no interior or floors in it, so i cant nbring it to the shop tell i weld new floors back in.

ya, I changed the filter to. I started it and unpluged the temp sensor, and it stalled out, does this mean the sensor is fine??

"Fine" is relative. That stupid sensor has a nasty tendency to play games with you until it completely quits, when that happens it takes plugs and catalytic converters with it.

What it does is change resistance as the temperature varies, the computer interprets that as rich or lean and adjusts the air fuel mixture accordingly. As the sensor ages, it becomes less and less accurate with sometimes random spikes to either way lean or way rich. Way rich is usually bogging out.

"Fine" is relative. That stupid sensor has a nasty tendency to play games with you until it completely quits, when that happens it takes plugs and catalytic converters with it.

What it does is change resistance as the temperature varies, the computer interprets that as rich or lean and adjusts the air fuel mixture accordingly. As the sensor ages, it becomes less and less accurate with sometimes random spikes to either way lean or way rich. Way rich is usually bogging out.

ya, i guess if its a finicky pos, ill change it out, hope this fixes the problem. ill let you guys know.

I have the same problem here and replacing the temp sensor did nothing for me. I have a new O2 sensor as well but the thing with the O2 sensor is it will stop you from bogging because it kicks in when the engine gets warmed up.

I'm thinking it's probably the MAF sensor circuit.