transmission noise

tsailor21

hi all i am new to the pathfinder world . so iam getting a lot of noise from the tranny in gears 1,3,and 5 i was doing some reading and found something about the transfer case cuppler and castle nut so if any one has info that would be great and also how do you go about replacing the heater core

thanks for any info tj

hi all i am new to the pathfinder world . so iam getting a lot of noise from the tranny in gears 1,3,and 5 i was doing some reading and found something about the transfer case cuppler and castle nut so if any one has info that would be great and also how do you go about replacing the heater core

thanks for any info tj

sounds like the tranny input shaft bearing to me... had a grating noise in gears 1,2,3,5. but seeing as you didnt say 2nd, i dont know...

sounds like the tranny input shaft bearing to me... had a grating noise in gears 1,2,3,5. but seeing as you didnt say 2nd, i dont know...

it dosent make any noise in 2 or 4 so i thought that was weird but it dose have 218,000 on it

Well, that depends on how much damage was done. My transmission did this exact thing. Before I got it, I found someone filled the trans with the wrong fluid(80-90w GL-5). Noise is why i was going to change the fluid. I refilled it to the higher level with Royal Purple GL-4, and it stayed quieter for a while, but eventually made a ton of noise. I got a replacement transmission(low miles) and overfilled it with Redline GL-4, and all is quiet now.

I took some pictures of what I found upon replacing the transmission. Click on my member page link in my signature, scroll down and you will find it.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

where can i get the parts to fix my tray? because i put in the extra oil and it still makes noise and i was planning on driving from wisconsin to colorado next spring so if any one has info please let me know

thank you

x2

I had the same thing, was only in 1,3 & 5. Eventually the bearing failed completely and I had a $1700 rebuild done.