Why is the inline 6 dieing?

laxman0324

I6s are tons of fun and its sad to see them go, I just finished rebuilding my buddies 200 for his 66 mustang, and you can't beat the sound with a split header like its been mentioned. Here is a small clip of the 200 after I did the exhaust on it. mmm good

th_P1000339.jpg

Edited by SilverPath

My step dad's 262 straight-six in his '76 CJ5 is a hell of a motor too, sounds like a V8 loping until about 2,000RPM. Though it's been built to Hell and made for low-end torque for the competition trail runs he goes on. :D

For manufacturers that sell v-8 and v-6 engines it's easier to convert a v-8 engine line to produce v-6s or vice versa depending on market demand than to switch an inline engine plant over to make v-8s.

Even easier when you do what Chevy did and just remove 2 cylinders off a 350 to make a 4.3L.

Thanks for the great input guys!

And on the note of I5's, GARBAGE!. I was test driving a Volvo C30 with the T5 motor and the dealer told me they use a 5 cylinder to get the mileage of a 4 cylinder and the performance of a 6 cylinder. Idiot, it's more like performance of a 4 cylinder with the mileage of a 6 cylinder.

Don't even get me started on I5 engines, especially those Vulvas with the turbo setups. They are the worst piles of @!*% ever made. How can an I5 even balance itself? Hello?!?!

If it works... :shrug:

Just don't be prejudiced without studying before hand. I had a huge thumper that absolutely sang at higher RPM and was a joy to ride. My 87 BMW K75 with an inline 3 cylinder (laying on it's side) runs so smooth (other than between 4700 and 5000 rpm) that the exhaust note is a whistle and the engine is a proven bullet proof design.

My CBR1100XX inline 4 has twin gear driven counter balancers that work so well the mirrors don't shake at any speed. There are many great designs out there that depart from the simple or standard ones but are just as able and long lasting. Technology can do wonders, no reason to fear it... ;)

B

Even easier when you do what Chevy did and just remove 2 cylinders off a 350 to make a 4.3L.

So really it is this way:

The I6 is nearly dead because a V6 is better in almost every aspect.

Who remembers the old 70s model short bed Chevy pickup with a 250 inline 6 with a two barrel carb? They would hang with and sometimes pass a 350 V8.

I don't like jeeps but my sister has a 07 wrangler sahara 4 door with the V6 and it's gutless compared to there old 4L inline. They have made the jeep into a car for people that just want the look and not go off road. I guess in low range it would pull ok but it's a turd on the highway.

She is going through a divorce right now too so it looks like I inherited a jeep to work on. Got to help out my Sis even though she has bad taste in vehicles.

James

James

Yeah, I'm really disappointed they replaced the 4.0L with the POS 3.8L V6. It was one of the most durable engines ever produced, originally designed by AMC. All cast iron, babbitt bearings, torque monsters, and you could run 'em dry of oil and they would still keep right on truckin'.