Clunking sound when going over bumps?

iPath

Just had this problem start up within the last week after taking the pathfinder to get an oil change. (Might add my breaks started squeaking just the day after- the result of something then did to test them?) When I go over changes in road height like exiting a parking lot or driveway I hear a clunking sound. Seems to be coming from the front. I understand this could be the control arms or shocks? How much would I be looking at to have a shop fix this, and is it needed? Maybe it's time for some ac coils ;)

edit: Might also be helpful to mention it's an 04 with only 49k miles

Edited by iPath

Well I guess I'll add that it has gotten to a constant point now. Every bump or even turn and it clanks for a few times. Also today I noticed a deeper murmur coming from the exhaust, muffler trouble? Darnit it's only been 2k miles since I bought and these problems are already hitting me! Ha.

It definitely sounds like your steering rack bushings though. Have a look under the front of your truck at the steering rack... you'll see if theres big gaps in the bushings. Or even have someone get in a turn the steering wheel while you look. If the steering rack moves a bunch that's your issue. Cheap and easy ;-)

join the club man, i had mine for LESS than a week, and my exhause fell off, my drivers side exhaust manifold snapped into 3 pieces, a/c went out, fan went out, the list just keeps going

hvae the hood open, and have someone rock the vehicle while you take a look around that list i posted earlier, looking for the noise. if its that continuous you should be able to follow it to the source. its how i found my sway bar bushings, the whole bar was moving half an inch

Edited by skulptr

I recently had this problem with my '01 and i took it to my shop and i had the sway bar links replaced. He showed me where the bushing wore out and the metal was hitting each other. I had both sides replaced for $200, which i thought was fair. Considering the dealer wanted much more...

Well found the source of the problem today.. loose muffler! Muffler is loose enough that it is clanking every time the vehicle shifts directions. Would you guys guess it's a rusted mount or just a bolt fell out? I have no tools on campus so I will have to take it to a shop regardless... hopefully it's a really cheap fix.

HACK SAW!!

mine didnt have any mufflers for about 9 months. the post muffler (resonator) rusted loose, so i hacked off the rubber piece, since i didnt have any tools either. but once you take that one off, you will need to take the pipe between it and the pre muffler under the rear passenger side door.

HACK SAW!!

I agree totally.

Both of my pathfinders have had the resonator rusted to the point of hanging by a thread. Local muffler shop just hacked it all off and put a new pipe in from the muffler back.

Should be able to get it done for like $50 or so.

I agree totally.

Both of my pathfinders have had the resonator rusted to the point of hanging by a thread. Local muffler shop just hacked it all off and put a new pipe in from the muffler back.

Should be able to get it done for like $50 or so.

does this change the exhaust tone?

ya the "second" muffler had rusted at the pipe connection to the actual muffler, just took it out. This doesn't cause any problems with back pressure does it? I don't know if I was just being paranoid but it feels like my acceleration has been dampered since.

you need to take that pipe out as well, other wise its just gonna fall on its own onto the road. not good if there's traffic around. that happened to me. and you shouldnt be getting less acceleration, i cut off my pipes before the first muffler and ran nothing but pipes for a few months with little change. sounds like something else might be going on with yours.

• 4 weeks later...

you need to take that pipe out as well, other wise its just gonna fall on its own onto the road. not good if there's traffic around. that happened to me. and you shouldnt be getting less acceleration, i cut off my pipes before the first muffler and ran nothing but pipes for a few months with little change. sounds like something else might be going on with yours.

I just saw this post, I only took the part that had rusted off (the alternator and the pipe that leads to the joint where it was rusted at). Is there still more than that that needs to come off? I notice a slight vibration sound when I give full throttle so maybe that's still tied to the original problem.

under the passenger side door there is a big muffler with 2 pipes leading into it. as long as no pipe is coming out the other side, then you got it, if there is, get it off before it falls off on the freeway

under the passenger side door there is a big muffler with 2 pipes leading into it. as long as no pipe is coming out the other side, then you got it, if there is, get it off before it falls off on the freeway

I gotcha, I believe that pipe is still intact. If I were to put on a flowmaster muffler or some other would I take take out the whole muffler or could it be attached where the resonator was?