Headliner

k9sar

The headliner on the section running from the dome light to the drivers side has come off the underlying plastic and I almost lost it out the window. The covering is a vinyl, foam backed sheet of material that was apparently glued and tucked under the trim pieces. Anyone else had it come off? If so, how did you repair it? Looking for hints. I have an idea but was looking for experience on this topic.

There's actually quite a few threads on this. Personally I would drop the whole thing and use 3M spray adhesive, and work the vinyl smooth of wrinkles.

I guess I should use that search button, huh. My main concern was that a spray adhesive probably won't hold if the foam backing is deteriorating. Also looking for hints on removing the trim (cause I'm too lazy to search or read the FSM)

Mine was doing the same thing. I removed the vinyl and sanded all the glue and painted it. Mine has the gray interior. The paint matched the dark gray perfect. It's a textured paint by rust-oleum. Name is dark pewter at Walmart.

I tried redoing mine with vinyl but could never get it looking right. I ended up wraping it in the same material that I redid the headliner with. I got the headliner at Jo-Ann Fabrics and used their heavy-duty spray adhesive. It holds up better to heat than the 3M stuff. The material comes in gray or black and its foam-backed, pretty easy to work with. The problem with vinyl is the weight. Unless you get it really tight and secured well it'll sag. Stretching it around my old, brittle plastic pieces created more cracks and problems.