Lockright question

JamesRich

Hey Guys,

I have never driven a truck with a locker or a spool so this may be normal. When I take off going straight I notice that the front diver side fender lifts first. Before the front end lifted even. Also if I dump the clutch fast and then let up on it the front end actually swings to the side like if someone was pushing on the fender. I thought I might have a tire low or with less tread than the other but they are pretty even. My guess if this is normal is that the axle being solid now is transferring the rotational effect of the drive shaft to the body? Or is the axle now trying to outrun the truck?

James

I had that same "swing effect" happening. when i had it up on a hoist, I noticed that my rear left lower link was a little loose on the bushing at the axle.

When i'd step on the gas the rear axle would move before the truck did, and because on link was more loose than the other, this would cause the axle to want to turn a bit and put a lateral force on the front of the truck. thats what the lifting is or should be.

when i replaced the link, the swing went in the opposite direction, because i still had the original on the right an new one on the left....scary feeling when your not expecting it. here is an example of bad bushings. just crawl under and try to move them with your hand; if the twist or give Any movement you should look into check/replace.

46336_467783302039_646067039_6958803_1853443_n.jpg41096_467783247039_646067039_6958802_3620850_n.jpg

FYI new links and bolts are $222.40 from the dealerand take 20 minutes to replace. new bushings are about $50 per side and not worth the hassle IMO

They all looked ok when I was just under there changing the springs, I cant twist them by hand either. I guess I will have to pull one out and look at it. I don't get the death wobble on the highway so I figured they were fine.

James

Check your front sway-bar too. I took mine off and now it behaves similar to what you are describing. Personally, I don't believe the locker is responsible for this behavior since when you have good traction an open diff behaves the same, i.e. equal power to both wheels.

Check your front sway-bar too. I took mine off and now it behaves similar to what you are describing. Personally, I don't believe the locker is responsible for this behavior since when you have good traction an open diff behaves the same, i.e. equal power to both wheels.

Even without a locker no front sway bar makes it handle like @!*% in every aspect.

The sway bar is ok, I just finished rebuilding the whole front end. Now that y'all are telling me that it's not normal I guess I need to crawl back under there. It honestly didn't do this before the lockright install. The lockright and front end rebuilt with hoohaa link went in at the same time though. Today I did some heavy swerving going down the highway around 45mph and it all feels tight so I will look it all over again to make sure I didn't miss anything and then just roll it till it gets worse.

James