Black Smoke

Milos

Two weeks ago I have noticed a black smoke coming out from exhaust pipe. It just happened for a moment, so I did not put any attention to it, checked the oil after.

Blue smoke is oil. Black smoke is fuel. White smoke is antifreeze/water/condensation.

So, yesterday, it started when I turn the key on, RPM was oscillating (usually is okay.), then I noticed lots of black smoke behind, and then it disappeared, at first RPM was going down, then it was normal. And driving it, was as usual, except when I start the engine.

What should I check first?

A friend of mine told me that the problem is with the plugs (over the phone), I am no mechanic at all...if you give me a laptop to fix, no problem, but cars...

I will do some images tomorrow, and more detailed explanation. (I have hours and hours reading about Black Smoke, only good thing is that Friday 13th just passed).

Milos

Punta Cana

Do a tune up.

Replace the six spark plugs

Replace the distributor rotor.

Replace the distributor cap.

Replace the oxygen sensor.

Replace the air filter.

Change the oil.

Maybe even replace the spark plug wires themselves!

• Like 1

Do a tune up.

Replace the air filter.

Change the oil.

What is the difference between Oxygen sensor with two, three and four wires?

How many oxygen sensors there are and where are they located?

(ebay oxygen sensor)

Thank you,

Milos

Two weeks ago I have noticed a black smoke coming out from exhaust pipe. It just happened for a moment, so I did not put any attention to it, checked the oil after.

So, yesterday, it started when I turn the key on, RPM was oscillating (usually is okay.), then I noticed lots of black smoke behind, and then it disappeared, at first RPM was going down, then it was normal. And driving it, was as usual, except when I start the engine.

What should I check first?

A friend of mine told me that the problem is with the plugs (over the phone), I am no mechanic at all...if you give me a laptop to fix, no problem, but cars...

I will do some images tomorrow, and more detailed explanation. (I have hours and hours reading about Black Smoke, only good thing is that Friday 13th just passed).

Milos

Punta Cana

faulty coolant temperature sensor can make system think the engine is running too cool so it thinks it has to add more fuel to the system thus making it run rich and causing black smoke. Been there done that myself. Just a suggestion on something to check that's all.

Most of these things can contribute to black smoke (too much fuel) but I always advise to check the ECU for stored fault codes first. It doesn't always help but it is a free and easy first step. The directions are in the Garage/How To section.

B

faulty coolant temperature sensor can make system think the engine is running too cool so it thinks it has to add more fuel to the system thus making it run rich and causing black smoke. Been there done that myself. Just a suggestion on something to check that's all.

Found one on ebay, search is: Beck Arnley COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR nissan 95 94 93 (30 usd).

• 1 month later...

Do a tune up.

Replace the air filter.

Change the oil.

Black smoke is gone.

Changed 6 spark plugs.

distributor rotor, is that under distributor cap? On ebay is 7 or 16 dollars (silver and brown ones)

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=nissan+pathfinder+1995+distributor+rotor&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Found on ebay distributor cap, 25 plus shipping, two types, brown and black. Still I have old one.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=nissan+pathfinder+1995+distributor+cap&_sacat=0&_odkw=nissan+pathfinder+1995+distributor+rotor&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

oxygen sensor, 45 usd, I read about it, found on ebay, maybe I will buy that one

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=nissan+pathfinder+1995+oxygen+sensor&_sacat=0&_odkw=nissan+pathfinder+1995+distributor+cap&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

air filter is new, 3.40 dollars plus shipping, and there are ones for 45 usd. I bought cheap one, and is clean.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=nissan+pathfinder+1995+air+filter&_sacat=0&_odkw=nissan+pathfinder+1995+distributor+cap&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Changed the oil, oil filter, and added a bit of transmission oil.

On ebay there is also gasket for transmission oil pan (below the vehicle), and filter for transmission oil (came together).

plug wires are 40-80 dollars, mines working okay, had to cut one wire a bit (its shorter 2 cm), and it was easy to connect.

My father, military mechanic, told me over the phone, to test wires, in the dark, moving the very good isolated screwdriver along the wires, and if it sparks, then its broken there, and to be extremelly carreful for electricity schock.

Good trick they had to protect distributor cap with rubber gloves, so that water does not get in.

Anyway, on ebay you can not find 6 fingers gloves, but everything else, yes.

:)

Milos

Punta Cana

p.s. To get 6th plug, remeber hand mirror, light and monkey jumpipng over the motor.

And the pan for transmission oil has trick to come off.

Edited by Milos

I bet it was the O2 sensor but good, I'm glad you got it running right. That is the same I do for plug #6 and I even put a pen mark on the firewall so I can line up the extension the same way for easier reinstallation and no crossthreading. ;)

Anyway, on ebay you can not find 6 fingers gloves, but everything else, yes

Are you sure?? Sometimes I wonder... :D

B

• 1 month later...