Limited Slip Differential questions

PFFlier

My 91 Pathfinder has the orange LSD sticker on the rear diff. Does that mean the front diff is also LSD?

I went to 3 places trying to get the API GL-5 and SAE 80W-90 gear oil. The only brand I could find was Valvoline which says limited slip on e the front, but the sales guys said I still had to buy this Kendal LSD additive (friction modifier). That didnt' make a lot of sense to me. I know others have reccomended the Penzoil as does Nissan. I want to get this right and I couldn't find anything about this in the Chilton or factory service manual.

Your front diff doesn't have a limited slip. It should say in your owners manual if you need to add an additive. I'm not positive if it's necessary, I put the Napa brand in mine just to be safe.

Your front diff doesn't have a limited slip. It should say in your owners manual if you need to add an additive. I'm not positive if it's necessary, I put the Napa brand in mine just to be safe.

Do you mean you used the Napa brand gear oil or the addative? All I found in the manual was to use what Nissan reccomends. I called them and they said any brand that is GL5 and 80-W90 gear oil, but who knows if I actually got someone who knows anything.

If you have a LSD, you need to put in limited slip additive. Even if you don't have a limited slip, or maybe unsure, I'd put in limited slip additive. I put some 80'ish/140'ish gear oil in mine with an LSD additive, but that's only because I know I have a LSD.

But, unless you're in Australia, you most definitely do not have a LSD in the front.

Some gear oil is LSD friendly, it will say so on the bottle. If it does not say so, then use an additive also.

No, you have an open front diff, I have never heard of a front LSD unit.

B

Some gear oil is LSD friendly, it will say so on the bottle. If it does not say so, then use an additive also.

No, you have an open front diff, I have never heard of a front LSD unit.

B

Great........thanks for the answer to both questions. It sounds like I'm good to go with the Valvoline GL5 80W-90 that says limited slip on the front. I emailed Valvoline tech support and they said it has the friction modifier built it, so it sounds like I don't need the additional additive.

Thanks again.