Cooling hoses on the VG30E........

Specv1973

I'm pretty sure there are some Nissan mechanics on this site or at least someone who knows the answer to this. I ordered all the cooling hoses on this engine. There's like 10-12 of them I think I received and one is still on back order. My problem is even with the manuals and exploded diagrams I found here and there.....I can't find all of them visually from under the hood....and some of them are tiny little boogers. Any pics or good idiot proof diagrams would be great. Thanks ahead of time if you can help me.....Oh, and one other question if I may.........I'm aware of the A/T cooler issue on the Nissan OEM units......was there ever a TSB for this from Nissan and was it ever corrected by a redesign on any model years? And what can an aftermarket unit do better, besides be bigger in size for better capacity or cooling? Aren't they all just a tube with fins that can clog no matter what? Thanks again for your edumacation for us simple folk...

Edited by Specv1973

They all clog as far as I know, and the aftermarket ones don't really have anywhere for the "sediment" to settle, as it's just a tube running between fins. Where as the one in the radiator is it's only little compartment area and such.

There are two cooler types. Tube and fin, and plate style. Tube and fin can not clog due to just being a bent tube, but they are not as efficient as the plate style. I have not seen the interior of the plate style but I have never heard of one clogging. I think this is due to multiple passages.

Did you look in the factory service manual that you can download? I do know that some of the hoses are tucked under/behind the intake and there are others like the bypass hose that can not be accessed without removing covers...

B

• 1 month later...

Tranny cooler and gauge is in. Not too bad. Went with a B&M plate unit from Summit. Mounted it behind the front grill with a little modding and got the gauge from B&M too. The Tee fitting for the gauge was/is a pain though. Still trying to get it to not seep. The crush fittings were too tight to go over the return line so I had to cut them. Didn't think they did all the sealing, umm yeah, they do. lol. So the thread tape helped on the caps but all I had left now was JB Weld, so you guessed it. The T fitting for the gauge now has a special camouflage coating now for stealth. hehe...still seeps a little.....oh well. The stock cooler in the old radiator (changed that too for another reason) is a joke. OMG, I cut open the radiator to check it out....LMFAO....that is supposed to cool my fluid......It's like a coiled up really long straw that sits in hot coolant. WTF Nissan? Newbs like me.....do this mod! It is a must for sure! :happy:

Edited by Specv1973

...still seeps a little.....

Plan to revisit this soon and do it right. Don't pollute, drop fluid that could cause someone to crash or risk springing a leak that could strand you and/or cost a lot...

B

Are you tree huggin Precise1? J/K....I know, I hate half ass stuff too. The seep would take a week to make one drip of a raindrop, know what i mean. Actually the last post hit the nail on the head. The seep is coming from that hose and not the T fitting anymore. It is the area around the clamp he's talking about. So what does a fuel clamp look like? Anyone got a pic or does the last poster have one?

Are you tree huggin Precise1? J/K....I know, I hate half ass stuff too. The seep would take a week to make one drip of a raindrop, know what i mean.

Yeah, I am, but in a good way... ;)

More importantly I ride motorcycles and have crashed due to oil and antifreeze on the road before. Not funny...

I understand that it weeps, but did you check under pressure?? It could be a bit worse then. :shrug:

B

More importantly I ride motorcycles and have crashed due to oil and antifreeze on the road before. Not funny...

I lost my honda(car) in less than a week because of an oil slick on an on ramp on a rainy day.

Who puts racing slicks on a honda? Esp when it rains for 10 months a year up here...

I wish I had taken a bigger loan to get some all weather tires on it the day I bought it.

• 2 weeks later...

I lost my honda(car) in less than a week because of an oil slick on an on ramp on a rainy day.

Who puts racing slicks on a honda? Esp when it rains for 10 months a year up here...

I wish I had taken a bigger loan to get some all weather tires on it the day I bought it.

Point taken brother......I'm getting one of those clamps this weekend. Checking it under pressure would require my skateboard and my wife driving I think. :chairfall: I also have owned a Hayabusa and Gixer 750, so I'm being selfish I guess and should know better. Although I did the common "don't ride in the slick/middle of the lane" like your fellow riders or class teaches you and never had that problem. Although at lights, looking down, I would see what your talking about, especially coolant down here in hot ass Florida.