Hello from Thunder Bay!

BushBuggy

Hiya's!

I ran across this site while looking for info on the vehicle I recently purchased and was really impressed with the help and info available. A lot of great tips and some cool stories too.

I bought a 1996 Pathfinder for $500 and I'm currently working on the repairs needed to pass a safety check. Namely, one rear brake line, 4 tires, a battery and an exhaust system from the motor to the tailpipe.

It's been about a week now and, though I only have Tuesdays-Thursdays to work on it after work at a friend's house, all I have left to do is mount and install the tires and get an exhaust. It's around $400 for Bosal parts for the exhaust which is kind of steep but I'm still exploring other options. Oh, and I need a rear glass for the hatch. It isn't needed for a safety I guess but I will be replacing it... installing it I guess is a better term since there's nothing there now but a piece of black plywood. haha

For now tho, I plan on getting it safetied and then putting it thru it's paces to see if it's worth spending more money for bigger tires and what not. She's got high miles (around 230k) but it seems to run nice. I just haven't had it up to operating temp yet as the tires on it wouldn't have gone 10 km lol.

Anyway, that's me and my pathy. I'll be scouring the forums for info that can help in anything that might arise and I'll be sure to get some pics of my new hunting/fishing buggy and post them here. :)

Peace

Welcome to the board! you got an r50 for quite the price! Granted, it need repairs, but that stuff couldn't come to more than 2000 dollars, which is what good condition wd21's go for in my area.

You'll find all you need to know, and a lot of stuff you didn't want to know right here on this board!

Welcome to the board! you got an r50 for quite the price! Granted, it need repairs, but that stuff couldn't come to more than 2000 dollars, which is what good condition wd21's go for in my area.

Thanks for the words guys. Now can I be a noob and ask r50? wd21?

I do think i got a good buy, even with the repairs needed but I'll save final judgement until I can really test the motor and tranny on roads, highway and bush.

Peace

oh, hah. sorry, throwing around model codes like they should be common knowledge! My bad.

WD21's are the first generation pathfinder, modeled after the hardbody pickup, with the model code D21, the W stands for wagon. From 86.5-89 they were two doors (with hatch) and had the vg30i, throttle body injected. 90 is the odd year where they upgrade the motor to the vg30e, multiport fuel injected, but left it as a two door while still making the newer four door version. 91-95's were strictly four doors. And they have an actual frame like pick ups do. It's always a big battle about which is better, and clearly the four door is the winner.

R50's are unibody, like cars, so the running joke on the forum is calling them "caR50's". But they did get the beefed up vg33e engine, makes 20 more hp and 20'ish more torque over the vg30e. The later r50's got the vq35 I believe, which really pumped up the power rating. And they are still plenty capable off road with some suspension mods.

yes...welcome there mr. bushbuggy!!!! Trust me when i tell you that if you cant find an answer bout your pathy here...you aint gunna find it anywhere!!!! Great bunch of guys and gals round here...lotsa years of good info avail.!!!! Nice to see a few more Canucks round here...good luck with your parts purchases...IMO we get REEMED for parts here in Canadaville!!!!!!!

Ciao Tye

Hey welcome to the forums! I noticed your from Tbay, im in Marathon, 3 hours east. good to see another member in North Western Ontario.

Hey, thanks Slade!

You ever been up in the bush between Terrace Bay and Geraldton? Lotsa nice bush roads n hunting up that way. Fishing too. Just waitin on a couple things before my pathfinder is on the road and then I'll be looking for some roads like those.

Peace

You'll find all you need to know, and a lot of stuff you didn't want to know right here on this board!

got that right B)

WD21=86.5-95 models, 2 door and 4 door. Full frame and slow

R50=1996-2004(?) models. Unibody and bigger motors ~ still slow but slightly faster than WD's

B

fixed that for ya B :D

welcome to the family! WAVEY

Edited by Slick