I can't wait to install my new upgrades

unccpathfinder

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well a few new toys tonight...got me a 110V handy mig with auto tint mask and 3 good cooper discovery's and dodged a tornado and have one tire dismounted and another half way so hopefully this weekend i'll finish mounting 3 of them, change the brake pads, install the air, install the locker and get the sliders 90% ready to weld up once I get the gusset plates next week...and then hopeflly my living room will get back to normal and not have car parts all over except for in our "garage" as the gf calls it

Maybe because then you aren't surrounded by Rednecks?? :D

:jk:

B

You are right on the money...but then again when I was in Kalifornia I was surrounded by queers...hahaha JK

well a few new toys tonight...got me a 110V handy mig with auto tint mask and 3 good cooper discovery's and dodged a tornado and have one tire dismounted and another half way so hopefully this weekend i'll finish mounting 3 of them, change the brake pads, install the air, install the locker and get the sliders 90% ready to weld up once I get the gusset plates next week...and then hopeflly my living room will get back to normal and not have car parts all over except for in our "garage" as the gf calls it

I loved my mig welder, probably more than I love my wife...but it was sold...so now its just me and the wife...

Eventually I will score another welder. My main prerogative is a compressor...my motor went out and I cant get the wife on board to buy a new one!

(My carport is my garage!)

Can't wait to see those sliders installed....

Alright...i'll try and do a good writeup on this but first off my lack of investigation before hand leaves me waiting for new bearings which wont be here till sunday :(

the gussets for the sliders had a mishap in shipping and wont be here till weds but I did get the locker and most of everything else to install it. I am going to mock up and prep the sliders tomorrow, install the airtank and get all of my plumbing/elecrical work done and probably pull the diff and get the center chunk pulled and everything prepped for the bearings on sunday (hopefully someone doesnt drop the ball there)

I have other htings i can do on the truck if i run out of things to do but I think i'll be busy all day...

tonight since i've gotten home i've gotten 2 more tires dismounted and fixing to dismount my spare and mount a new one...i hope to get at least 2 mounted tonight

Alright...I gave up on mounting the tires...its damn near impossible to mount anything on my wheels...i have dismounted 3 of the coopers (did 2 in about 30 mins tonight) and remounted one on the other wheels but just cant seem to get the last 6" over the bead and i have beat on them for a couple hours...just gonna take it to a shop and have this one finished mounting and then have the front 2 swapped out...

So i'm about knee deep in my planning for this install...here is my list of needed @!*% in no particular order

1. dial indicator

2. 1/4" NPT TEE male to female-female

3. bearing puller/slide hammer

4. NEW TIMKEN BEARINGS (will be here sunday)

5. i gotta figure out a press for the bearings

6. 90-100 PSI pressure regulator with run (male and female)1/4" NPT

7.1/4" NPT tap

8.1/8 BSP male to 1/4" npt Female (or male with a female-female coupler) ***I think this may be the show stopper****

9. thrust nut tool ****Might be the other show stopper***

10. patience

my other miscellaneous tool list and supply list for this job:

1. brake line cutter tool

2. 3 ton jack stands

3. high pressure grease

4. tefflon paste (pipe dope)

5. dead blow/soft face hammer

6. drain pan

7. SAE 90 gear oil

8. RTV

9. beer

10. time

11. more beer

12. reserve of hard alcohol for sunday b/c no alcohol sales in SC if things don't go well

I think that about wraps it up

forgot gin which i hate but cant really be smelled since my buddy's driveway that i'm taking over for the weekend has his wifes family in (alcohol is a no no) which is funny b/c before they come over all of the half gallons and 1/5ths have to be hidden...2 weeks ago they made a surprise visit and I guess his wife was freaking out running around hiding stuff...he doesnt care but she's one of the few wives that still like me.......but he did just trade his liberty in on a rubicon after going to URE with me and we're baptizing it next weekend...i might not be welcomed back over there if we bang on it too hard

(My carport is my garage!)

Your doing better than me, my garage is the small slab you see my truck parked on in my sig pic.

Advice, don't move on your father in laws property if he is an ass hole! I waisted a lot of my time and money there just to give it up and move away. (before I killed him!) The wife is just lucky I brought her with me. I am kind of attached to her after 20 years.

Alright...I gave up on mounting the tires...its damn near impossible to mount anything on my wheels...i have dismounted 3 of the coopers (did 2 in about 30 mins tonight) and remounted one on the other wheels but just cant seem to get the last 6" over the bead and i have beat on them for a couple hours...just gonna take it to a shop and have this one finished mounting and then have the front 2 swapped out...

Try mounting a 18" low pro 10" wide motorcycle tire! I fought it for a while and it took several harsh words but I wasn't going to pay $30 per tire without balancing or removing from the bike. If I had to go through the pain in the ass to remove it from the bike (shaft drive) I might as well change out the rubber too. I haven't found a bead yet that a high lift jack wont break!

Looks good!!

What do you need the bearing puller, press, thrust nut tool for?? The front bearings?? If so, no.

Buy the dead blow, a 1/2 inch 1' aluminum rod and a brass round the diameter of the bearing race. Tap out the old races with the aluminum rod, pound the new ones in with the brass round and tighten the nut with a punch... ;)

B

Alright...just got home from my buddies...the compressor is installed and working...I fixed one leak but still have one around the regulator i'm using for the locker...i'm going to deal with that in the morning after I go pick up my new bearings at 9am...

so lessons learned...check that the back seat will sit up...i have to move the compressor aft about 4" but that will happen at a later date...i forget lesson 2...but was thinking about it on the way home...anywho i think this is one of my best personal installations/routings (its my day job as well and usually shortcut on my own) but will post pictures...

Buy the dead blow, a 1/2 inch 1' aluminum rod and a brass round the diameter of the bearing race. Tap out the old races with the aluminum rod, pound the new ones in with the brass round and tighten the nut with a punch... ;)

B

that's my plan but i didnt know if i could actually get to them without a puller...i will see tomorrow tho...i'm not so much worried about getting the bearings on but more or less the races...

I also painted the hood today, got the tires mounted as i showed above (an FYI the truck is about .5" off the ground on all 4 tires), compressor mounted, front brake pads changed...

Tomorrows plans are to get the bearings...snatch the rear wheels off and pull the shafts...drain the fluid...pull driveshaft...pull carrier...check backlash...tear it apart...put it together and hopefully everything goes well and its done in 6-7 hours...i'm not sure what i'm gonna do about the BPS threads...i may drill and tap it to 1/4"NPT but that's a last resort...i may just be patient and try to order an adapter offline b/c no one in town has any BPS or BPT (whichever you call it)

i'll upload pix tomorrow but i must say i didnt take as many as i should have but gonna try to do better on the locker tomorrow...i'm gonna finish this last beer while i take a shower and hit the bed and get up at 8 tomorrow morning to get back at it

I forgot i did take some pix on my phone to post...so heres some quick shots of the install

d30b323b.jpg

6c0e11c4.jpg

766f0dca.jpg

My necked up work light...50 Halogen fog that i plan to install under the chassis in 4 places as trail spot lights:

d4f301f0.jpg

i'll try to upload more of the routing and bundling pix tomorrow

Good to see you are still around wheelman...keep hour eyes out there are lots of pathys and hbs for sale around the area...at least in upstate sc....

I'm gonna try to upload some pic tonight but I stopped taking them for a while BC I was pressed for time...got home at 2 and was up at 7 for work...probably working till 10 tonight...

Kbut pics and text to come....arbitrary instructions suck

alright some quick pix before i crash...gotta get up at 5 for work and work 12-14 hrs then go work on the truck some more to finish the pneumatic and electrical routings...id still love to get my sliders on too...

here's a rough routing from the dash back to the tank:

DSCN5198.jpg

cleaned up:

DSCN5199.jpg

Wrapped:

DSCN5201.jpg

Routing air line:

DSCN5229.jpg

my buddies wifes quote after she got home "where's the toaster oven?":

DSCN5224.jpg

her response...oh ok cool i didnt know that heating it would expand it (we're both engineers so she's learning and actually had a good idea on moving my roller bearings after they fell apart...i'll explain sometime)

Open diff:

DSCN5220.jpg

ehhh crap what did we get ourselves into:

DSCN5218.jpg

he's excited about the locker:

DSCN5210.jpg

Edited by unccpathfinder