got a question about goin higher

jprater88

Okay new to the forums and yes i have been to the howto section and have seen the cheaper alternatives to many suspension kits out there, which is the route that i am going for now with ford springs and the like. Now my question is I have seen where folks have done torsion bar drops and donuts in the back with that kit that i can never remember the name of, and others use the spring swap method and and cranking the torsion bars or adding stiffer ones... Now is it possible to utilize both in order to gain yet even more height???? sorry for the long winded and around the world simple question.

Okay new to the forums and yes i have been to the howto section and have seen the cheaper alternatives to many suspension kits out there, which is the route that i am going for now with ford springs and the like. Now my question is I have seen where folks have done torsion bar drops and donuts in the back with that kit that i can never remember the name of, and others use the spring swap method and and cranking the torsion bars or adding stiffer ones... Now is it possible to utilize both in order to gain yet even more height???? sorry for the long winded and around the world simple question.

First off, no worries...

Now is it possible to utilize both in order to gain yet even more height????

Yes, and you are referring to the Trail Master lift kit. They have been discontinued, so best buy up soon if they are still available.

B

With the combination of the Trail Master lift, cranking the t-bars, and new coils... you can essentially get 7" of lift. Correct me if I'm wrong, guys. Pair that up with a 3" body lift and you're sittin 10" higher :P

But, with lifts like that, you're gonna be wearing stuff out a lot quicker, so you know...

Thats what I thought.. and thanks for clarifying that for me precise1... and no worries about snagging one if when the time comes there are none left i will do what i do best and just make the drop brackets required to gain the extra height... Thats the glory of having a oxy torch and welder at my place anything is possible... I also wonder if there are any vehicles that have a similar extended knuckle so that when the front diff is lowered the axle angles wont exceed their limitations... It would be neat to see some one utilize them all together and with a body lift and see how high it can go with out giving up to much... Because even though i will more then likely do double 44 swaps i want to see how far the ifs will go

What the TM lift does besides the diff drop, it adds a spacer piece between the upper ball joint and the spindle. That part also has a new place to attach the tie-rod to keep the steering at better angles. There is nothing on the market at all to eleviate the CV angle issues from lifting. You might be able to make custom shafts, but as of yet I haven't heard of anyone making any. Most people who are looking for lift and trail ability just SAS rather than throwing a bunch of $$$ at the IFS system.

I was thinking, i know that with the 4" of lift of this kit theres a bunch of different mods you gotta do, like find a 1 piece drive shaft (for the d21). So what if you made up some differential drop brackets that dropped it only 2 inches? the idea being to add a couple inches to a UCA/re-indexed torsion bar lift truck, without needing everything from the $1300 trailmaster kit. any thoughts?

Well i have found alot of detailed photos of that kit and if I get brave enough I will try and manufacture it instead of buying it the only thing i will porbably buy are the spacers for the UCAs, But it doesnt look like the kit is very complicated as far as funky looking brackets