Battery Terminals

Tungsten

My battery terminals barely hold anymore due to wear and tear. I have to wedge them so they hold on to the battery.

Does anyone know what would be a good replacement for them?

It wouldn't hurt to replace the whole Cable Assy since its 19 yrs old. 4x4parts has upgraded charging harnesses.

Otherwise I'd say just go to your local parts store and buy new terminal clamps.

slit the old clamps off with a dremel cutting wheel.

dip the wire in some flux and melt it in with a torch( try to use the radiant heat below the flame so the copper doesn't blacken). then wire brush it and crimp the new leads on

As long as the terminal it's self is in good condition, ie: not corroded away, just use one of theese

Just take the cable off, slap one of theese over the terminal on the battery, put the cable back on and tighten back down.

0843lrg__89614_zoom.jpg

http://www.repairconnector.com/products/Top-Post-Battery-Saver-Shims.html

Saves a lot of hassle, fixed in 2 minutes, and should be available at most auto parts stores.

Edited by morpheus

As long as the terminal it's self is in good condition, ie: not corroded away, just use one of theese

Just take the cable off, slap one of theese over the terminal on the battery, put the cable back on and tighten back down.

0843lrg__89614_zoom.jpg

http://www.repairconnector.com/products/Top-Post-Battery-Saver-Shims.html

Saves a lot of hassle, fixed in 2 minutes, and should be available at most auto parts stores.

Nice, this is exactly what i needed.

You got one of the LARGE ends, which isnt bad, but it CAN be pulled out...however there shouldnt be anyone or anything under your hood doing any pulling!

I went from this:

spaghetti1.jpg

To this...with some marine terminal ends...(much cleaner!!)

newterminal1.jpg

lol i bet you get jump started daily :tongue:

thing is i don't want that big fat cable to yank out because if it does all the electricity will go through the MAF wiring

A few of the high output alternator companies recommend this style battery terminal, known as "military style" I like these also:

jahx0n.jpg

I also like these and have them on my Sentra:

4fvarq.jpg

I do carry some jumper cables, but have not had to use them since the Maxima alternator swap and the spaghetti clean up. I like the military terminals as well, but most of the local parts stores here don't even know what that is.

Well I think I solved some problems the other day...

1. The cable wasn't a tight fit so I was either going to fold the tip over on itself to double the thickness or flip that lid upside down but since the cable was a bit short for me I decided to flip the lid and now the sucker stays on tight.

negativeterminal.jpg

WARNING: If you use this type of clamp, be careful with the screws as mine almost wedged into the battery before they got tight. There was only about less than 1mm of clearance left, any more and it would just suck. Tighten the screws first before tightening the clamp.

screwthis.jpg

2. The MAF ground cable, to be close to the negative terminal, was relocated and grounded along with the body ground on the negative cable.

newmafgnd.jpg

Edited by Tungsten

So were you having issues with the MAF as well? I have gotten into the habit of eliminating factory grounds and making my own, especially on fuel pumps. Didn't know if doing that fixed another issue or something...

• 3 weeks later...