New Pathinder Owner!

hello everyone,

i am from port franks ontario, canada and i just picked up my new vehicle today Very Happy , 1998 nissan pathfinder 4wd with a manual. needs a little clean up, but nothing to serious hopefully. couple little rust spots under the front signal lights, the side chrome pieces on the front and back bumpers are really rusty, back speakers don't work, the headliner is sagging, one headlight is broken, a/c i think needs to be recharged, and i kept getting the odd smell of gear oil on the way home. also my fob wasn't unlocking my doors, so i took it apart and found out the button for the unlock fell right off the circuit board. if i get a new fob, how do i program it?

other than that, it has new tires, new battery, paint just needs some wax and the interior needs to be cleaned.

i need something for winter to drive back and forth to school because my car sucks in the snow lol.

if anyone could help me out what my options are with the steel bumper fix, that would be great. not a huge fan of chrome so i rather just have paint black ones, or even if newer pathfinder plastic ones would bolt up, that would be great too.

as for the plans. i would like to add a bush bar with lights and a light bar on the roof and maybe some older style chevy 6 bolt centerline style aluminum rims.

i'll post pics after.

Welcome PSD!! Congrats on your new Pathy, it sounds like most issues are just cosmetic.

There is a write up in the Garage section about how to reprogram your new alarm dongle, and for bumpers, a local junk yard is probably your best bet.

B

thank you for the welcomes everyone :D and thank you for the tip Precise1.

gave it a wash today and put some rim acid on the rims and bumpers to remove some of the rust stains. definitely cleaned it up a lot.

35105_454248396351_527246351_6624927_5914626_n.jpg

35105_454248391351_527246351_6624926_3491179_n.jpg

35105_454248386351_527246351_6624925_1387009_n.jpg

Edited by ProStreetDriver

She looks good...I have a 1997 R50....and i got just over 225K miles on her....yes a quater million... and running strong... so give her a little TLC and she will last for you...

gave it a wash today and put some rim acid on the rims and bumpers to remove some of the rust stains. definitely cleaned it up a lot.

What kind of acid?? Muratic acid (HCl), as in what is used in swimming pools? That is an old machinist trick to restore rusted files... ;)

Two tips for you because I'm feeling generous today. :)

Run some top quality injector cleaner and do so occasionally, I just learned that there is a TSB (Tech Service Bull) about injectors being prone to clogging and am dealing with that with the wife's 99 R50.

Also if you want a little better mileage and don't mind losing convenience, remove the drive flanges for the front hubs (makes the CVs spin any time you are moving) and install manual locking hubs instead. I put a set of Mile Markers on (for $90) and got 2mpg highway more instantly. You still have 4x4 if needed, but you have to get out and set the hubs first. To us it is worth it.

Changed all the fluids, mild AT tires, manual hubs, removing the roof rack cross bars and soon a cold air intake, I plan on having the 22+mpg Pathy... :D

(it gets 20 mpg now)

B

She looks good...I have a 1997 R50....and i got just over 225K miles on her....yes a quater million... and running strong... so give her a little TLC and she will last for you...

thank you. mine only has 113,000 miles lol.

What kind of acid?? Muratic acid (HCl), as in what is used in swimming pools? That is an old machinist trick to restore rusted files... ;)

Two tips for you because I'm feeling generous today. :)

Run some top quality injector cleaner and do so occasionally, I just learned that there is a TSB (Tech Service Bull) about injectors being prone to clogging and am dealing with that with the wife's 99 R50.

Also if you want a little better mileage and don't mind losing convenience, remove the drive flanges for the front hubs (makes the CVs spin any time you are moving) and install manual locking hubs instead. I put a set of Mile Markers on (for $90) and got 2mpg highway more instantly. You still have 4x4 if needed, but you have to get out and set the hubs first. To us it is worth it.

Changed all the fluids, mild AT tires, manual hubs, removing the roof rack cross bars and soon a cold air intake, I plan on having the 22+mpg Pathy... :D

(it gets 20 mpg now)

B

i still call it acid, but it isn't suppose to be due to the health risks. it still smells like acid though lol. i used to work at a car lot and a friend of mine that still works there got it from the supplier for me. its pink in color and works amazing.

thank you for the tips! i was planning on running some castrol syntec in the motor and then maybe changing the diff fluids over to synthetic. it actually has almost new michelin m/s. i will definitely need the good mpg considering i'll be putting on 350km a day driving to school and back.

Looks like a decent Pathy, welcome to the forum WAVEY

thank you!

putting on 350km a day driving to school and back.

yeesh

and I thought my 50km each way to work and back everyday was bad!

you must have a ton of cash to be able to keep that thing fuelled!! xD

my suggestion: buy a bike

and use all the money you save on gas that way to build up the pathy for the weekends ;)

WELCOME TO THE SITE !!

thank you!

yeesh

and I thought my 50km each way to work and back everyday was bad!

you must have a ton of cash to be able to keep that thing fuelled!! xD

my suggestion: buy a bike

and use all the money you save on gas that way to build up the pathy for the weekends ;)

lol, well i'm still saving a lot more money than living on res. hopefully i can do a couple things to it to make it a little better on gas.

so far i priced out new front a back bumpers. about $300 in black, not chrome to fix both bumpers. i called nissan just to see what they wanted and it was about $800 lol. so i'll order the new bumpers later on this week. i also pressure washed the carpet on the truck, washed the floor mats, and gave the interior a quick whip down.

lol, i didn't even noticed that :laugh:

ordered new bumpers today. i got black ones instead of the original chrome ones.

and i also read on the forum here that if there is an orange sticker on the diff, it means its an lsd. well i took some pics of the underside of the pathy and i just happened to look through them. well i found an orange stick on the diff lol.

IMG_0036-1.jpg

btw, what model is my pathfinder??? i don't think its an se, could it be the off road edition?

Edited by ProStreetDriver