Clutch slipping

1987caddy

Hey everyone, I noticed today on the interstate pulling a hill that the clutch is slipping some. If the cruise is set, it will jump up a 1k on the tach. From a dead stop it's grabs really good. It slid my sub box against the hatch. There's no chatter and it's not jumpy taking off just slipping around 65mph(3000k). Any suggestions?

Edited by 1987caddy

If rear main is leaking you should see oil dripping from the weep hole cut out in the bell housing of the tranny. 6 o'clock position.

How many miles on the clutch? I think I replaced my stock one around 100k

far as i know the clutch is stock. I know when my brother had it, he usually took off in second gear. He really sucked at driving a 5speed. I knocked over a second off his quarter mile time in his mustang cobra when we used to go and test and tune.

I bought my first pathy with 110k on it. On an up hill freeway on ramp it grabbed good in first, second, third, then slipped a bit in 4th (all high rpm shifts). That told me there was an issue. I pulled the tranny and the pressure plate was tired so it was only pushing against the outer 1/2 of the clutch disk so it had uneven wear from center to edge. At the out side edge it was down to the rivets.

Basically, you can pull the tranny and replace everything in the bellhousing (including resurfaced flywheel) for about 300-$350 (EOM parts are fine, talk to Alkorahil for great prices) or someone else said you can pull the tranny back just far enough to change out the pressure plate and flywheel (maybe $150) but you risk throw out bearing/rear mail seal issues before the clutch needs replacing. Either way, I HIGHLY recommend using a tranny jack.

B

I bought my first pathy with 110k on it. On an up hill freeway on ramp it grabbed good in first, second, third, then slipped a bit in 4th (all high rpm shifts). That told me there was an issue. I pulled the tranny and the pressure plate was tired so it was only pushing against the outer 1/2 of the clutch disk so it had uneven wear from center to edge. At the out side edge it was down to the rivets.

Basically, you can pull the tranny and replace everything in the bellhousing (including resurfaced flywheel) for about 300-$350 (EOM parts are fine, talk to Alkorahil for great prices) or someone else said you can pull the tranny back just far enough to change out the pressure plate and flywheel (maybe $150) but you risk throw out bearing/rear mail seal issues before the clutch needs replacing. Either way, I HIGHLY recommend using a tranny jack.

B

x2 on they tranny jack. Had mine out twice without one. Bugger is not a friendly beast to maneuver!

Why do people take off in 2nd gear???? First is there for a reason!

x2 on they tranny jack. Had mine out twice without one. Bugger is not a friendly beast to maneuver!

Why do people take off in 2nd gear???? First is there for a reason!

I was actually there when a nissan mechanic told my dad to start off in 2nd if he found the 1st to "short" in his new to him 5 speed r50.

I have a lift and a couple of transmission jacks. I guess I'll install some headers and weld up a exhaust while I'm there. Restoring a couple of cars so this might take a while.