light sensor?

WyKi

On my dash near the air vents there's this "sensor" , looks like a photocell... what's that for? and how does it work?

i have one too, i just ignore it and it has never given me a problem.

yea , i ignore it too, hasnt given me any problems either. It's just that I've seen other cars with something the same (photocell) and well when it gets dark out the photocell engages/switches on and turns the headlights on automatically. :)

In the 94 FSM in the HA section it shows that to be a "sunload" sensor that works with the automatic air conditioning system

from the FSM:

"The sunload sensor is located on the center defroster grille, it detects sunload entering through the windshield by means of a photo diode and converts it into a current value which is than input into the auto amplifier"

Edited by ahardb0dy

mm,ok so if I understand this correctly that's for the "AUTO" button on the A/C. No wonder my A/C wont shut down in power it always stays on full power. :shrug:

it's not just for the "auto" button it works with the whole auto HVAC system, I beleive the auto computer takes the temp from the ambient air sensor behind the grille and this sunload sensor as well as others and makes changes accordingly

I would have thought it was a light sensor too. Maybe it doubles for some vehicles. I have one like that on my Titan and when I cover it when putting my sun shade up the head lights come on. You guys have too much free time if y'all read the FSM from cover to cover lol!

James

I would have thought it was a light sensor too. Maybe it doubles for some vehicles. I have one like that on my Titan and when I cover it when putting my sun shade up the head lights come on. You guys have too much free time if y'all read the FSM from cover to cover lol!

James

I dont have a FSM for my PF. Mine's a 92 one.. where abouts do I get a hold on one of those FSMs?

Thanks

If you want one specifically for a 92 you would have to find one on e-bay or somewhere as the 92 manual only came in paper form, if you don't mind if the FSM is slightly newer you can download one for a 94 from this site.

here's one I just found on e-bay $50 though but it also comes with the factory wiring diagram manual:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-Nissan-Pathfinder-Truck-Service-Shop-Manual-Set-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b32f25c6QQitemZ170509936070QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature