spare tire fitment?

esy

ok, couldn't really find a topic that talked about this, so here goes.

when i get new tires in a few months (too bad since price jumped up yesterday), i'll be upsizing to the 255/70/16. my question is, has anyone ever stuffed a larger tire under the stock spare tire carrier, specifically a 255/70/16? i was taking a quick look at it yesterday, and it looks to fit ok, but i may run into an issue on the right side where it gets close to the muffler and what not. just curious if anyone has ever put anything larger than the stock 255/65/16 under there?

for argument's sake, i don't really want to get a swing away spare tire carrier since it's not in my budget, nor do i really want to get a cargo basket and toss the tire up there. i use my rack for different purposes (bikes and snowboards, specifically). any thought would be appreciated. :wiggle:

I don't know what size that is exactly but you should be just fine. I ran (and am still running since I have yest to get a place to store a spare 33in) a 275/70R16 in the original spot for 3 years now with no problems. It sticks out a bit but I have found that to be a bonus as it has saved my rear bumper on multiple occasions.

cool, if you're running a 275/70, a 255/70 will get in there just dandy since it'll just be a slightly taller tire, but not wider. thanks!

cool, if you're running a 275/70, a 255/70 will get in there just dandy since it'll just be a slightly taller tire, but not wider. thanks!

actually the 255/275 is width while the 70 is the height.... so you got it backwards... that tire is wider but not taller.

Most vehicles I have seen that came with a full size spare have room for up to 1 Plus Size.

And Most vehicles I have seen that come with doughnuts have room for 1 full size tire.(exept sports cars)

actually the 255/275 is width while the 70 is the height.... so you got it backwards... that tire is wider but not taller.

i know the sizes. and the 255/70 is a taller tire than stock so the tire will fit into stock location fine since his 275/70 is both wider and taller than stock or the 255/70 and fits.

i know a little about tires since i work in the industry. :)

Edited by edwinsyip

i know the sizes. and the 255/70 is a taller tire than stock so the tire will fit into stock location fine since his 275/70 is both wider and taller than stock or the 255/70 and fits.

i know a little about tires since i work in the industry. smile.gif

He's right.

Here's the actual break-down. Width/siedwallratio r rimsize

So if both are 70 than the wider one is also taller...

255/70r16

255mm wide/ %70 of 255 (178.5mm sidewall) r 16" rim

converted to standard thats 7" of sidewall on each side of the rim so a 255/70r16 is 30" tall and 10" wide

The other tire (standard) has 7.6" of sidewall on each side of the rim so a 275/70r16 31.2" tall and 10.8"wide

thanks MY1PATH. I was gonna spout the same information.

Metric (eg. 205/50R15) are not the same as standard sizes (eg. 31x10.50R15).

I like these two web apps for messing around with different tire sizes.

This one is metric sizes only but also gives you a visual: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

This one does standard sizes as well and shows RPM and speed differences: http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

If you want to know exactly the size of the tire I was running it was a Michellin LTX M/S 275/70R16 at 11.1in Wide and 31.3in tall. If your tires are that size or smaller you can make it fit. Maybe you can go bigger but I wouldn't know.

You can see how much it sicks out in this photo.

123_1.jpg

Edited by DanAK

He's right.

Here's the actual break-down. Width/siedwallratio r rimsize

So if both are 70 than the wider one is also taller...

255/70r16

255mm wide/ %70 of 255 (178.5mm sidewall) r 16" rim

converted to standard thats 7" of sidewall on each side of the rim so a 255/70r16 is 30" tall and 10" wide

The other tire (standard) has 7.6" of sidewall on each side of the rim so a 275/70r16 31.2" tall and 10.8"wide

BAM! That is correct. :aok:

I have a 265/70R15 as my spare and it fits just fine. :shrug:

BAM! That is correct. :aok:

I have a 265/70R15 as my spare and it fits just fine. :shrug:

Yeah, i figured it should fit since the 255/70/16 is pretty close to the same size as the 265/70/15 but wasn't sure if there any changes from year to year as far as placement of the muffler, exhaust piping, etc, etc.