a/c compressor

Hey everyone, on my 95 when I turn on the a/c it cools ok but really cuts the power down. Sometimes when merging on the interstate I have to turn it off until I get up to speed. Is the common or is this the beginning of problems down the road? Thanks

Edited by 1987caddy

Well the truck is only 153hp to begin with. But I find it's the same on mine. When you turn the a/c on the condenser heats up and the fan clutch will engage which robs you of even more power.

Yea that's what I was thinking. Just can't get over how much the compressor bogs it down. Turning it off is like hitting the nitrous button. It's so instant. Could being low on freon cause the compressor to bog down?

Try recharging the system, fresh refrigerant also contains a lubricant for the inside of the compressor.

Parasitic drag, adds up when you multiply it by your RPM.

Also, when fully charged and A/C on anything but HIGH your compressor will more than likely run a little as 1/2 the time instead of all the time.

In my truck the a/c only has on/off no other settings.

yes, but the FAN has 4 settings. So A/C on HIGH means the fan is blowing full power. The more air you pass thru the A/C core the more the compressor has to run to keep it cold.

I checked the refrigerant tonight and it was 40psi at 84 degrees outside. I let the a/c run for a few minutes before checking. I guess I need to tint the windows to help with the inside temps. It like setting in a fish bowl in the afternoon.

Well the truck is only 153hp to begin with. But I find it's the same on mine. When you turn the a/c on the condenser heats up and the fan clutch will engage which robs you of even more power.

153hp... yea, sure, MAYBE 20 years ago XD

I'm sure if we dynoed now it'd be closer to 130~140 :/