Cold Air Intake upgrade help?

Shapes

Hey guys im new here recently got my 93 path XE 4x4 v6 and want to go cold air intake, i know they dont make kits and it is sort of a hack job. I was wondering what i should do about the mass air sensor? I know i need it but how should i go from my Mass air sensor to a 3" hose? any ideas? HELP! lol.

Thanks

Shapes

they have them on ebay for like 50 bucks i have one on my pathfinder pretty much bolt on. might just need a few extra small hose clamps and also maybe something to help support the air intake i had a small metal piece i bolted on.

2010-03-12160631.jpg

2010-03-12160642.jpg

metal bracket i made.

2010-03-12160652.jpg

2010-03-12160901.jpg

2010-03-12160912.jpg

hoes get close to the belts

2010-03-12160925.jpg

2010-03-12160933.jpg

Awe wicked man, thanks for the pics they help a ton lol. Where did you get the part that connects the air filter to the mass flow air sensor? That is basically what i need but am having a heck of a time trying to find something. I also want to upgrade to a metal intake but i cant find anything =S I already have a high flow intake instead of a tornado, but its the same inner diameter as the tornado.

Awe wicked man, thanks for the pics they help a ton lol. Where did you get the part that connects the air filter to the mass flow air sensor? That is basically what i need but am having a heck of a time trying to find something. I also want to upgrade to a metal intake but i cant find anything =S I already have a high flow intake instead of a tornado, but its the same inner diameter as the tornado.

Metal intake has everything you need like he said for 50+ bucks on ebay, just search pathfinder cold air intake...

I however, have a "hack job" kit for sale with about 1k on it ;)

You can get away with making your own for around $20 bucks. I am not 100% sure that the metal pipe really helps any more than the stock stuff with a higher flow filter.

Remember, intake equals more air in...but without proper exhaust, that won't help much.

You can get away with making your own for around $20 bucks. I am not 100% sure that the metal pipe really helps any more than the stock stuff with a higher flow filter.

Remember, intake equals more air in...but without proper exhaust, that won't help much.

I noticed a 1-2mpg gain or so, and it seems peppier, probably because its easier for it to breathe on a whim

I plan on replacing the accordion pipe on mine soon, I read when I had my 01 dakota that just replacing the accordion pipe made a difference, so on that truck I made a intake using a K&N cone filter using 3" pvc, it looked ghetto but it worked

I am not saying it will not help, because I noticed a difference with mine. So forgive me for speaking out of turn...

I guess I need to dig out some aluminum tubing and make me one!!

Hey thanks everyone, I found what i was looking for on ebay of course lol. Ordered the 3" conversion to fit on the mass air flow sensor for 10 bucks but after shipping and being in canada it came to 40 =S fack. Oh well hopefully its worth it.

Thanks

Shapes

Hey folks been pondering for a bit here, wondering if going cold air is a good idea when off roading? what happens if I get the filter wet. Or will I get it wet? If it will how do i prevent it? Sorry for the noobish questions i am just getting in to the whole off road thing.

I just want to replace that stupid accordion style pipe from the air box to the manifold. I think a trip to The Home Depot can do the trick. All I need is some aluminum piping and some fernco fittings. :rolleyes:

Hey folks been pondering for a bit here, wondering if going cold air is a good idea when off roading? what happens if I get the filter wet. Or will I get it wet? If it will how do i prevent it? Sorry for the noobish questions i am just getting in to the whole off road thing.

I'm on 33's and 6" of lift. I just took mine off because I don't trust it atall....I'd rather not have the modification and mpg than hydrolock the engine...my stock box has gotten me through some VERY wet situations.

Mine would get little water droplets when it rained....if you do water crossings you will get it wet.

I am running the same setup as OSR. 6+ inches of lift and 33's. I have a cone filter, but I really make an effort to stay away from deep water. If I must go that route, I take it sloooowwww....

I still have the factory box and all. Thought about rigging up a "inside the fender" snorkel system.

It is in fact my DD.

I still have the factory box and all. Thought about rigging up a "inside the fender" snorkel system.

It is in fact my DD.

You mean like this?

th_snorkelside.jpg

and it comes with the duct too?

looks like it could be made water tight with some black silicone easy enough....

make an adapter for that hose to my snorkel inlet and it'd be good to go!

hmmm I might have to look into this

• 3 months later...