FINALLY A SNORKEL FOR R50 PATHFINDERS

Mark

If there was one available, would you buy a snorkel for your R50 Pathfinder?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. If there was one available, would you buy a snorkel for your R50 Pathfinder?

• I would definitely buy one
    • I would probably buy one
    • I might buy one
    • I wouldn't want one

Myself and a few people I know have been banging our heads against a brick wall for awhile, hoping for a snorkel to become available for the R50.

Someone I know recently contacted Safari Snorkels and asked them why they don't do one for the R50 when there are so many offroading around the world.

This is a quote from an email he just received from Safari:

Quote:

Yes, there is a possibility Safari will produce a snorkel for the R50, however, for the moment, there is insufficient demand. Generally speaking, we need to be confident of moving some 200 units in the short term to warrant manufacturing costs.

Regards,

(Name deleted to protect the innocent)

Safari

We have the possibility of getting this made if there is sufficient demand.

Could I get an indication of demand from you guys. If we can get a few hundred 'yes' answers, they might make one. If we can get a few thousand , they will . :clap:

Please vote. Assume the price would be similar to other snorkels available. (eg X-Terra).

Guest Chargin

Just adding my 2c, Ive voted but also wanted to add a post to show Im keen. Ive been looking at how to make my own but if I can buy a Snorkel then that would make me very happy!!

I think that if you do alot of high water crossing that would be the Bomb! The thing is they will go through high enough water that most people would cross.

I had mine just over the front of the hood, now mind you I didn't think that it was that high and it was a short treck as no water entered the cab.

I do think that would be a nice acc. as for the R50's for the people that would want one but at this time I don't do that deep of water crossing to install one.

:beer:

I had mine just over the front of the hood, now mind you I didn't think that it was that high and it was a short treck as no water entered the cab.

Runnerman,

OMG! that is awesome! Did you do some preping to seal the electricals? Alternators can take in water and still run? What about the intake and exhaust?

Dang...You are the man! I've always wanted to trek across water with my car.

Wo buddy :o

I'll Take that as a bit of sarcasm well whatever.

No I didn't prep anything. I should of checked it out before I went, not to bright as it was getting dark and was raining also I was pulling a boat so I just wanted to get out of there. Like I said it was a short treck and didn't get any water damage.

I do have trail pics of most of that trip, I do intend going back next year if it's not as wet as there was great fishing at that lake :D Your welcome to join me next year :) note the trail is not for the faint of heart ;)

Like I said I would not at this time have need for a snorkel as that was a one time thing, and I will not be making a habit of it.

Well here is a pic of the pathy going through another trail that at parts went over the hood edta1 and no didn't prep here either just thought I would let you know.

medium_deep_hole.jpg

Ok I posted this on AC's forum as well.

If you guys are really serious about a Snorkel.

If you have an idea on a snorkel you can send it to me via e-mail.

Then I can get you a quote on it, the price from the places that I have spoken to go by weight and how hard it will be to make not quantity. I still have to talk to a couple more larger plants but no use until there is some kind of drawing.

Note the drawing doesn't have to be exact just about, as then you will know the estimate of how much each Snorkel will cost you. I'm thinking around $40-$100

could be way off but after they have the jig built it's just a pour of the molds, and wouldn't be extremely high.

Your best Bet would be to talk to your local plastic molding plants as you will be making adjustments and such to get it rite and fit exactly how you want it.

I'll help if I can.

Yeah I'm definitely in the market for a snorkel!

You may recall my excursion where the water level was wiper high...and yes the alternator still works when wet, but if the water is dirty it may squeal lafterwards.

Let me know if you guys ever find one.

I enquired at sales@arbusa.com and

Radoje Spasojevic

rspasojevic@arbusa.com

replied the following

>

Safari 4X4 offers a Snorkel to fit the 1997-2001 Pathfinder models, but we

do not have any information as to whether or not they will fit the Infiniti

variant. I would recommend you contact Safari 4x4 directly for more

information. Their web page for the Nissan Pathfinder/Navara snorkel is:

http://www.safari4x4.com.au/docs/snorkel/ss720.htm

If you have any further questions, please let me know.

<

Here's the link, this does appear like a good fit, what do you all think?

http://www.safari4x4.com.au/docs/snorkel/ss720.htm

Unfortunately, your contact at ARBUSA is mistaken. The snorkel that Safari makes (the one in the link above) is specifically designed for the D22 Navara. (This is the Aussie version of the Frontier).

They also sell the same unit for the Xterra and with some messing about, it fits the Xterra okay.

It does NOT fit the Pathfinder, though. Some members of my local club have physically tried it. Firstly the angle of the pillar is too different from the Navara, secondly, the fender is a different shape and, thirdly, the radio aeriel on a Pathy is in the way of this snorkel.

I've seen a pic of a late model R50 Pathy (badged as a Terrano) in New Zealand with a snorkel but it was an ex-Japan car and I'm told that they're structurally different. Besides, it was a pretty poor fit.

Hmmm...Yeah, I read that and got a very different reply.

They said that they are not planning on producing snorkels for Pathfinders any time in the near future, but they have been getting interest in them. :rolleyes:

I also asked them about adapting another snorkel to fit a Pathfinder and they said that they don't recommend it as their snorkels have been thorougly and specifically designed for certain vehicles to ensure proper fitment...blah, blah, blah...

Hmm... :sniff:

Oh well...let's see where this leads.

• 4 months later...

381416_257_full.jpg

381416_258_full.jpg

381416_259_full.jpg

Sure, it's not the single greatest fit ever, and the antenna is on the wrong side, but it works. I personally think it looks a lot better than Keith's, although, his shows a LOT of ingenuity.

381416_256_full.jpg

And no, cutting through the fender skin will NOT compensate structural rigidity. The fender skin has very little affect on overall structural rigidity, and there are already several existing holes on the inner fender, if you were to simply enlarge one of them to fit your air tube, you would be fine. :aok:

although, his shows a LOT of ingenuity.

I think that can be said for pretty much everything on Keith's truck :D

What brand is that snorkel on the blue pathy? It looks to be a Japanese spec vehicle, it is another example of something they get overseas that we would have a heck of a time getting over here? :rolleyes:

I heard that it is a UTE Navarra snorkel. Yes, that is a JDM Terrano R50. Apparently, the person who took that picture, said that the picture doesn't show how it really fit, and that the fit was HORRIBLE, and there were gigantic gaps all over the place. But, um...I'm ok with the gaps that it shows... :beer:

Yeah, I can kind of see where there could be gaps that the pics don't show well, but then again, maybe his definition of "huge gaps" would be something we would find totally acceptable over here :) But you're right, looks like it fits well, almost like it was made for the R50 B)