Lifts 101

IQX4x4

So I know there are a multitude of threads regarding lifts and all the pinned topics with massive amounts of information. I am hoping to ask questions in this thread which are NOT covered in any of the other pinned topics. However after only finding out about this and the NICO QX4 forums a couple weeks ago if I do ask a question that has been answered, please do not be critical. If such a case does present itself, please simply say that that particular question has been answered and show me where I can find the info without being negative. I have spent hours and hours already looking through as much as I possibly could in the last few weeks and have learned a lot but have a few practical questions that I can not seem to find answers to.

My SUV: 1998 QX4

First is: I bought 31/10.5/15's with rims cause they were cheap on craigslist and the forums seemed to think this was the biggest tire I could safely fit w/o a lift. Unfortunately they do rub. I get a little rub in the front when making sharp turns in drive both directions. Does anyone have any tips for successfully trimming w/o exposing too much of the fog light assembly? Emptyv, fueler, and fluerys I think you all have experience trimming do you not? Do you guys have any advice for a light trim or how I can make sure moisture does not get into my fog light assembly?

Second is in regards to lifts: So I understand the two main brands discussed in this forum are OEM and AC (at least only two listed in the poll). I have heard many people say that the AC lift is not very good. It seems people only get AC if they cant afford the OEM. <----please someone correct me if I am wrong. One quick quick question is why does the AC lift have so many options when the oem lift seems standard? The easiest question I have may already be answered, but how much does each kit cost with all parts included? For this example do not include cv boots or warn locking hubs as those seem to be standard and will add the same cost to either kit (<----------again, correct me if I am wrong). The second question in regards to lift has to do with where and how much it will cost to have it installed. I simply can not find this information anywhere. It seems like most people in these forums install the lift themselves. I am about 99.9% sure I do not have the knowledge, skill or tools required to lift my qx4. So what are my options? I called Les Schwabb and they wont touch it. I called 4wheel parts and they wont touch it. Does anyone know where I can get it installed? Is it best to buy all the parts online first then take it somewhere to have it installed? Both 4wheel parts and les schwabb said that is not allowed, is it anywhere? Also, how much can I expect to pay to have the oem 2inch lift kit installed, ie labor costs?

My ideal lift would only be 1-2" in all honesty, just to make it so my 31's don't rub anymore. Is a lift even the right/best way to do this?

I only consider myself a weekend warrior but would love to meet with anyone who is in the Bay area and is knowledgeable about r50's. I would like to do some light trail off roading, like a couple days and nights of camping and trails in anza borrega things like that. I will not be doing 4 ft deep rivers/puddles streams, or driving up a rock wall.

I would also be interested in possibly paying anyone who lives close and knows what they are doing to come install my kit and or answer all of my questions as they pertain directly to my vehicle. I HAVE NO MECHANIC FRIENDS!!! (and would like to make some :)

So I will leave my first post at that for now. If I am screwing up the format or am completely repeating or mis-placing this thread pls pm me or email me on proper etiquette for this forum.

Much Thanks

IQX4x4

Welcome to the NPORA forum! I hope you don't get any negative responses, because I thought all your questions were good ones, and you seem to have done your homework because I don't think the answers have been covered anywhere in great detail.

Anyway, I would like to address one of your questions. I am pretty mechanically inclined (I dropped the transmission and transfer case on my 4WD R50 myself just to change out the release bearing... couldn't justify paying a mechanic $600 to change out a $40 part), and would have done the lift myself but I realized that it would be more expedient to pay a mechanic. So I found one that does suspension work and told him I wanted to replace my struts, shocks and coils. It was a little mom-and-pop shop, but it had a computerized alignment system (which is key when you're doing suspension work).

This place was so cool, they let me help out with the job, instead of making me stand behind the yellow line. I bought all my own parts (Old Man Emu springs, KYB shocks and struts), and brought them in so he only charged me for the labor. When we came to the part where we were replacing the springs, the manager happened to walk by and realized that I was doing a suspension lift. He said, "Oh, you're putting on a lift kit? That costs extra!" I told him, "Yeah, right," because we had already negotiated the price of the labor and so he let it go. So watch out for that: mechanics realize that people who mod their vehicles are willing to pay more for the work.

So I guess the key points are as follows:

1. Any mechanic that does suspension work can do your lift.

2. Make sure they have an alignment machine, and negotiate that into the price of the job.

3. Buy your own parts. It will always be cheaper.

4. Negotiate the price beforehand, and tell them you are replacing your suspension, and you have your own parts. DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT A LIFT. If they call you on it, you can always claim ignorance and say you didn't realize it was a lift because you got the upgraded springs from a buddy.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Howie

I can't answer your questions about pricing or installation, but I would like to point out that one of the lifts you were talking about is actually OME (short for Old Man Emu), not OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer). I had this same mixup when I first got into all this.

And actually, the 2" AC coil springs are more expensive than OME @ $180 a pair, whereas OME coil springs are $75 apiece.

labor about $500 including alignment (make sure to buy camber bolts for AC lift if you go that route).

Which lift? preference really. Just make sure the struts are KYB GR-2's (and buy them from somewhere other than AC...rip off there). Shocks are what you can get. very debatable. Go with the KYB if you can't decide.

You rub with 31's?then your stock springs are pretty saggy then. doing the lift will probably give you a 2.5" lift from your current hight. Great for 32's!!!

I don't know why i'm typing this. blah blah blah :blah:

Jose

Thank you for the helpful information. I now have an idea of where to go from here. The OME correction and the info on how to approach a mechanic was very helpful. I will be taking my Q in to les schwab soon and may possibly just get new springs so that my tires don't rub anymore. Does anyone know anything about sealing up my fog light assembly since I have trimmed the inner wheel well or where I could go to read about it?

you could always just heat it up and mold it to go in more instead of cutting. I haven't reallyput much thought into this idea, but since my 15x10's rub the front, bee3n thinking about doing it.

Jose

IQX4X4: Many auto repair facilities do not want to install customer-supplied parts because of warranty/guarantee claim liability issues. I will assume that your QX4 has spent most of its life in California, where rust and corrosion are not as much of a problem as they are in the Northeast. If so, working on your ride will be relatively straightforward.

Where in the Bay Area are you located? I've installed lifts on several R50's before, including doing the same thing a couple different times on my own ride. Last month I replaced the front springs on my R50 (with a friend's help) and we completed the work in just under 2 hours. The rear springs and shocks are even easier to replace. I have quite an assortment of professional-level tools, including a strut compressor and a hydraulic lift.

The strut compressor I have:

318JK0uR6pL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This isn't my car, or garage, but this is the lift I have:

MD6XP-Car-Lift-Raymond-Haney.jpg

If you want to save some money on labor costs, are willing to get a little grease on your hands and can spend a day in San Jose, I can install any suspension parts you might have (with your help of course).

LOL, I have a photo somewhere of my Pathy sittin' on the lift, getting a front diff with a new ARB locker bolted up. I should try and round that up for your viewing pleasure.

LOL, I have a photo somewhere of my Pathy sittin' on the lift, getting a front diff with a new ARB locker bolted up. I should try and round that up for your viewing pleasure.

Man if I was in cali, I know I would be driving down to have U help with my SFD install.