Rarely Fails To Ignition

Hi!

last saturday the problem began, at morning my path 97 start with no problem but after an hour turn off and when turn on again dont start, i turn the switch and the ligths on dash light up but the starter don't work, i review the fuses and all right, after 15-20 minutes and and many attempts, my pathfinder start. Same thing happened on Sunday.

Any idea to begin the review??

PD: sorry for my bad english i'm from México!!

Thank's

I cant think of anything temperature realted that would make a starter not engage.....

Three things come to mind here:

1) Check the battery terminals for corrosion and make sure they are clean and tight.

The starter needs all the power from the battery to turn over.

2) Make sure the battery is good as well.

3) Check the ignition relays and make sure they are clean and secure with no corrosion.

First, clean your battery terminals and check the battery cables for corrosion. You may also want to check the battery cable connection at the starter motor itself. After you confirm the wires and connections are good, if the starter still doesn't engage reliably, it sounds like the starter motor may need to be replaced. However, if the starter cranks the engine but it does not fire up, that's a whole different diagnosis.

Thank's for your answers, the battery and terminals are good, clean and tight, i'll go to check wires to starter and relays, any idea to check relay or only change.

thanks for your time!!

I had the same behavior with my crown vic long ago... The Starter is going bad.... Why it starts sometimes and why it does not is related to where the bendix on the starter stops when you're finish starting the car. I see that you brushes are probably used more at some places than other and sometimes they will be far apart just enough for not letting the current pass, then after a couple of tries they will...

Personally, I would change the starter and be done with it.

S.