17 Inch Rims, Tire Question

Hello, and thanks in advance for the responses. I am in the market for some new tires. I have a 2003 LE with stock 17" rims. I currently have Yokohamma ATS all terrain tires. They have been great, however it is time for some new ones. There are not a lot of options in this size for good off-road tires. The Yoko ATS' worked fine but I would like something more like a mud tire, and in 245/65-17, which is stock size, there are no mud tires that I am aware of for sale.

So my questions are:

1) Do ya'll know of any 245/65-17 mud tires?

or if not

2) Can I move to a different size that a mud tire might be in, and mount it, without rubbing.

3) Would a 245/70 R17 size tire work? In particular, these listed below? They are BFG Mud tires.

http://discounttires.com/product_detail.php?c=OTlkODJjMmZlZjdkZjMyMWRlMWIwZjJlNTNlMTZjMWE=&prodID=6114

Again, thanks for the help!!!

Edited by Bassomatic

I could not find any mud tires for the size you wanted but did find a alot for one size bigger 245/70r17 This means the tire would measure 30.5'" instead of your current 29.5" Now since these new ones would not be wider than your old ones, it would not cause any problems with the struts in the front and fender flares on the rear ar full flex. I'm pretty confident that these would work no problem for you. After all, it only really makes 1/2" of more tire to fit... So I cannot be 100% but would be willing to put some money on it ! :-)

Pick you poison : http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=245/&ratio=70&diameter=17&x=12&y=12

Use the selector on the left side to only see the Off-Road Maximum Traction. should be 5 of them...

:aok:

Edited by fleurys

That might depend on the backspacing/offset of the OEM 17" wheels, though. :scratchhead:

I put on some 265/70R/17 and some BFG A/T K/O tires which the wheels have a neg 4 backspacing and still had to put on 1.5 adapters in order to clear the strut. Also plan on doing some triming as well when you run 17" wheels. I installed all 4 adapters and it looks killer. Much wider stance now.

Edited by Timmons

I have had mine(Yoko ATS Geolander) for about a year and a half and put close to 50K on them, they have about 35% left. I drive a whole lot. About 37K per year. Thanks for all the replies...keep em coming. Thanks.