Drivetrain Oils?

Kyle94

i am doing a full oil change on my 93 (tranny fluid,Transfer case fluid, and engine oil and filter) i need to know what oil i should put in each of these, im running low on money so cheaper stuff is what im looking for. the rig has 209,XXX mile and i think the engine takes 10-40W but im not quite sure and i dont have the books for it....

Somewhere there is a great thread where everyone listed their preferences for each. It was the thread where one of the WA guys (87Pathy?) mentioned that he used some crazy heavy duty gear oils that he got in 5 gallon buckets. I can't find the thread though... if anyone else has is saved please post a link.

That's my favorite, but there are many on the subject, and most importantly if you have a 5 spd read the TSB regarding fluid level.

Edited by 87BeachCruiser

Its the guy with the exo cage...

Get what ever you can afford,Dex III for tranny and t-case(if auto tranny) I use Napa 85-90-95 in my rear end,its like 2.99 a quirt and has LSD additive already in it,oil I use quiker state 5w30 in my camaro and mobile 5000 in my pathfinder,It should be 5w30 for you pathfinder too,but with your milage it might be wise to use 10w40,not as much burn off.

Manual trans or automatic?

Manual trans you want to use GL4 gear oil(there is a little debate to this, see the TSB)

Diffs- 80-90w is best (im currently running synthetic 75-90w)

Transfer- yes, stick with Mercon/Dextron III. We use Valvoline Max Life here at the shop. Works pretty good IMHO. (there is some debate here as well)

Auto trans- Same as transfer. Though, you will want to add a external trans cooler(many trans have met thier maker due to buildup in the factory cooler), they you want to "flush" the trans for best possible results.

Engine oil- thats your call. Most stick with 5w-30, in a variety of brands. I currently use Kendall Synthetic-blend myself.

There are several threads about different fluids if you want even more info and testimonials. Yes, the search function is a bit funky, but use it and see what you find. :aok:

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Manual trans or automatic?

Manual trans you want to use GL4 gear oil(there is a little debate to this, see the TSB)

Diffs- 80-90w is best (im currently running synthetic 75-90w)

Transfer- yes, stick with Mercon/Dextron III. We use Valvoline Max Life here at the shop. Works pretty good IMHO. (there is some debate here as well)

Auto trans- Same as transfer. Though, you will want to add a external trans cooler(many trans have met thier maker due to buildup in the factory cooler), they you want to "flush" the trans for best possible results.

Engine oil- thats your call. Most stick with 5w-30, in a variety of brands. I currently use Kendall Synthetic-blend myself.

There are several threads about different fluids if you want even more info and testimonials. Yes, the search function is a bit funky, but use it and see what you find. :aok:

Manual trans..

ATF came out of my transfer case so thats what ill put in it, i didnt drain the diffs so they should be good, i think im gonna put GL4 gear oil in the trans and 10-40W in the engine.. Good?

Yep, that will work. Remember you need to "overfill" the trans to the new amount(as stated in the TSB). Easiest way is through the shifter hole.

"overfill"?

Couldnt you just put both tires on ramps on one side and fill like that...?

I tried it. Didn't get high enough to get enough fluid in the tranny. I found the shifter hole to be the easiest.

Dude...

I'm a really patient guy, but like many others on here, Don't have all day to be answering questions that are very easy to find. One of your questions was answered in the first sentence of the link provided to you that you even quoted in your last question. The TSB, which is a PINNED topic tells you everything you need to know about the tranny oil, the problems with using GL-5 ATF fluid instead of GL-4 so it wasn't really even necessary to ask your other thread question GL-4.

Honestly... It took me 10 seconds to type in the search function "Fluid Capacity" to which i got 9 results. 4th thread was this.

Fluid Capacity

Look we all like to help out when we can man... but we're not here to do all the leg work for ya. Would have been faster for you to look yourself then wait for us to respond. Not trying to be a dick, but come on man.... If you're willing to get your hands dirty to change all the fluids, you can get your hands dirty here searching for the answers a little harder.

Dude...

I'm a really patient guy, but like many others on here, Don't have all day to be answering questions that are very easy to find. One of your questions was answered in the first sentence of the link provided to you that you even quoted in your last question. The TSB, which is a PINNED topic tells you everything you need to know about the tranny oil, the problems with using GL-5 ATF fluid instead of GL-4 so it wasn't really even necessary to ask your other thread question GL-4.

Honestly... It took me 10 seconds to type in the search function "Fluid Capacity" to which i got 9 results. 4th thread was this.

Fluid Capacity

Look we all like to help out when we can man... but we're not here to do all the leg work for ya. Would have been faster for you to look yourself then wait for us to respond. Not trying to be a dick, but come on man.... If you're willing to get your hands dirty to change all the fluids, you can get your hands dirty here searching for the answers a little harder.

Ok, first, nonone SAID that YOU had to answer back, I'm not expecting a ton of answers but so far nonone has gave me an exact amount of quarts for nonone of this, and I did to search, and just as I said I didn't find anything that was helpful to my engine, the thread "GL-4" was to be a disscussion on what oil I need to use and somehow ended up talking about all of it that's stated in this thread.... So there's ur explanation for that...;)

Dude...

Fluid Capacity

And I only asked the "GL-4" thread because I didn't understand WHY it was absolutly nessacary that I use GL-4 Instead of GL-5, SORRY if I irritated you SO much but iv never owned one of these and I know nothing about them, and I even looked in the chiltons book that I bought for the damn thing and it doesn't tell me @!*% either, short- I have a lot of questions...;)

Edited by kyleky07

Dude...

Fluid Capacity

And another thing, I just looked through all the posts on both threads, where the hell did you pop up, u never said anything before this.... As I stated before, nonone said u had to answer back on this....;)

Edited by kyleky07

Relax Kyle...

Dowser is helpful, and after you have been around for a while and you hear the same question 100 times, you will point people to the search function too. If you can think of it, it has already been discussed, trust me. Let it go, eh?

B

Whoa now....

Take er easy. No need to get your feathers all ruffled. And judging from the fact that you have 3 posts each 6 minutes apart I'm gonna go ahead and guess that I probably got you heated pretty good.

Look, there's no need to get defensive, I'm just explaining how it goes man. You're new here, and as such you do the same thing that a lot of new people do. I'm just trying to steer you into a different path cause the path of asking a tons of questions when they can be easily found yourself, can get on peoples nerves at times especially when you hear what size tire can i run 3 times in a week from new people.

And i didn't post in the topics before then because I didn't see much point. The answers we're pointed out to you and links were posted so you could do some more of your own research. And if you read the TSB Transmission thread you can clearly see that if you use GL-5 instead because its cheaper then you're going to wreck your Transmission. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but its doing damage and even if you drain it there's obviously going to be some left over.

Also since you weren't getting an answer, i decided to throw you a bone and post up the Link for you from the kindness of my heart so instead of bitching you could say thanks. And you're right. I didn't have to answer this... But I did... with the intention of helping you out with both the information and to give you the gears about using the search function a little more before posting up a new thread on the subject that's been covered many times before. If you'd rather I not have posted it then I'll remember that for any future questions you may have.

Edited by Dowser

Whoa now....

Take er easy. No need to get your feathers all ruffled. And judging from the fact that you have 3 posts each 6 minutes apart I'm gonna go ahead and guess that I probably got you heated pretty good.

Look, there's no need to get defensive, I'm just explaining how it goes man. You're new here, and as such you do the same thing that a lot of new people do. I'm just trying to steer you into a different path cause the path of asking a tons of questions when they can be easily found yourself, can get on peoples nerves at times especially when you hear what size tire can i run 3 times in a week from new people.

And i didn't post in the topics before then because I didn't see much point. The answers we're pointed out to you and links were posted so you could do some more of your own research. And if you read the TSB Transmission thread you can clearly see that if you use GL-5 instead because its cheaper then you're going to wreck your Transmission. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but its doing damage and even if you drain it there's obviously going to be some left over.

Also since you weren't getting an answer, i decided to throw you a bone and post up the Link for you from the kindness of my heart so instead of bitching you could say thanks. And you're right. I didn't have to answer this... But I did... with the intention of helping you out with both the information and to give you the gears about using the search function a little more before posting up a new thread on the subject that's been covered many times before. If you'd rather I not have posted it then I'll remember that for any future questions you may have.

What is this TSB everyone is talking about? Sorry I didn't mean to sound so mad, I'm just trying to figure this out so I can get my truck back out on the road, and as I said earlier, I've used the search function, don't like, it shows everything with the words that I type in, and I never find anything useful... Sorry again...:)

Whoa now....

And thank you, I did look at that thread and I just now have to figure out how to convert liters and pints into quarts... ;)

And thank you, I did look at that thread and I just now have to figure out how to convert liters and pints into quarts... ;)

Damn near 1:1. A quart is 947ml or .947L. If you interchange quarts and litres, you won't hurt anything.

Relax Kyle...

Dowser is helpful, and after you have been around for a while and you hear the same question 100 times, you will point people to the search function too. If you can think of it, it has already been discussed, trust me. Let it go, eh?

B

Yeah, I didn't get very much sleep last night so I'm a lil testy this mornin, shouldn't have taken it out on here..:/

What is this TSB everyone is talking about?

TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin and this is in the TSB section at the top of the Garage section.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2621

Well kind of, I just have to figure out how to convert liters and pints to quarts...

Liters to quarts and pints, you mean?? 2 pints=1quart while 1 quart=.95 liters as Simon pointed out. Since you fill the drive train until it runs out of the fill hole, you really just have to make sure you have enough. If you are just shy of what you need and don't want to buy another quart, top it off with Lucal Oil Stabilizer, it will only do good thing...

B