Replacing Clutch Advise

Cubby

I have over 200,000 kms on my 95 SE and am pricing out a new clutch. Is it hard to screw up? The local Nissan dealer has upped their hourly rate to $95/hour and the clutch job is $1200! (10. 5 hours labour). A local transmission shop will charge $850. I am assuming the price difference is the hourly rate. Should I save the money and go with the cheaper shop or am I asking for trouble?

Hey Cubby. I'm doing my clutch right now (literally got the tranny on the floor 1 hour ago) and its a PITA !!! I decided to save some $ and look at the truck; I just bought it and want to check some things, and generally learn about it. So far I learned the I have a large hole burned in the driverside floor board from an old exhaust leak, my wheel bearings are slightly loose (will redo the hubs before it hits the road) and that one of my tranny mount studs is busted off, and there is no good way to fix it :huh: There are advantages to the labor, but I understand why you dont want to deal with it. I recommend you buy OEM parts off the internet (about $250) and then have the tranny shop install them. That way you get good parts, and cheaper labor. The best of both worlds. Good luck.

Bernard

I decided last night that's what I would do. I can pick up the Nissan clutch kit for $300 CDN ( $225 US) from my local dealer and have a transmission shop do the install. I must have called over 6 tranny shops and they all quote the "book" time to install the clutch.

Just a bit of a warning here: many shops (around here at least) either will not touch a job if you supply the parts, or they will not warrantee it. They'll insist on them supplying everything. Just an FYI so you don't get a nasty suprise.

Check out what Mr. Pickles said; I have not dealt with that before. It seems silly if you supply them with OEM parts still in the wrapper, but then since when do things have to make sense ? Only problem with a 'clutch kit' is thats its usually only a pressure plate, clutch disk and alignment tool (hopefully a throw out bearing also). You have to do the bearing at the same time, and should replace the spring clip also (I even replaced the bearing sleeve). Not to mention you want to make sure the flywheel is resurfaced (within spec which is .02" or .5mm). I'm a machinist, and that is a lot !! I would not want mine running out that much !! When the fly wheel is pulled, the pilot bushing should be checked (mine was fine). Anyway, my point is that if the tranny is out for the clutch, then all of that should be done at once. LOL, if clutch work was cheap or easy, everyone would do it all the time, so to me the peace of mind is worth it. Oops, that sounded wrong, all 'extra' parts incl reconditioned flywheel (with good core charge) is less than $100 US more that of a 'clutch kit'. Good luck !

Bernard

It seems silly if you supply them with OEM parts still in the wrapper, but then since when do things have to make sense ?

Well, it makes sense if your a shop & alot of your bucks come from the markup you receive off of parts. It's been my experience that's the reason for reluctance of owner supplied parts by indies.... -thnkboutit-

Yeah Toad, unfortunately, I know how it works... Remember the good old days when a good shop/mechanic would order the parts at cost or with their discount and pass the savings on to you; just charging for labor ? To me, nothing has changed, I pay them for the labor.... THATS IT !! Why the he!! should they mark up parts for a profit ? What did they do to 'earn' it ? Was it the ordering/receiving that justifies added cost ? Well, ok then, I'll supply the parts and save them the effort. Any shop that wont install parts that I give them just lost the job, and has me bad mouthing them for 6 months... (pant, pant) WOW, I feel better now....

Bernard

With M/U's reaching 20%-50% or better we're talking a lot of lost revenue to the shop. I feel the same way as you do about it. If they want to ream me on the parts due to my inability to do the work myself, screw 'em, I'll look elsewhere.... :contract:

Yeah, I remember when handshakes actually meant something, it's a sorry world compared to the one I grew up in.... :shrug:

Hate to say it but shop rate is a pain.... And its oem parts all the way!

After my blowing a Old rusty high pressure steering pump line on mine i will NEVER have a shop do it....

I could have went down to... (after the fact that i had new lines on from the shop of course) Anasis Island in Vancouver to get a custom pair of lines made up of my choice.. Mind you i wanted in the first place.. Was looking at steel braided lines. In the end it would have been my labour/time pulling taking down and would have had themin 15-30 minutes of being there... Cost of these lines bent to that of the oem pathfinders. 100- bucks plus tax canadian..

Now the OEm ones could not be found in vancouver... The high pressure one had to be replaced so ordered it was ~ cost of it after shipped 400 dollars alone without installing the fakker... The other was made up of line in the shop rubber and that plastic protector line..... Well it cost me a fortune/Plus that of me not having my ride for a week... i could have ripped a used one off a donor vehicle at the wreck yard for 50 bucks spent that same day getting the custom one made and still been at it way ahead of the game.

I have since done / replaced my front brakes/ rear brakes emergency line retightened/ starter and solonoid. I cannot afford the mechanics/ the only thing i have paid for was getting tires put on and balanced which is only 5 bucks a wheel up the street. The other mechanic I went to asked how much it cost me for tire swaps and when i told him he was shocked... He stated its 100 bucks at his shop!!!

Thus if you can in any way do the clutch yourself ........... DO IT... Put that extra cash into parts you want or tires or umpfhhhhhhh up the engine..

I hear you 87mudfinder. Now that the Pathfinder is 10 years old I am looking for aftermarket parts that are not only better quality but also cheaper. I only go to the dealer now for oil changes (with my coupons). Unfortunately here in Winnipeg we do not have the selection of stores that you would have out there. Hell we only have 4 Nissan dealers in the whole province!