Gears For '83 Wagoneer Dana 44

Does anyone know where to get some 4.36 gears to match the h233b rear axle ratio? Is it possible to safely use a slightly higher gear ratio for the front axle within 5%?

you're better off getting a stock 4.6 third and swap it in and use 4.56s for the dana 44. I did this route a while back and later swapped to an Xterra 4.9 ring and pinion and used 4.88s for the dana44 so I could run a bigger tire.

I cant remember the tolerance for gear difference.

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

Generally you don't want to use more than 3% difference although i've heard of people running the 4.56 & 4.6 combo.

Using the 4.9 & 4.88 or 5.13 & 5.14 combo will be better.

What size tires are you running?

• 2 weeks later...

Generally you don't want to use more than 3% difference although i've heard of people running the 4.56 & 4.6 combo.

Using the 4.9 & 4.88 or 5.13 & 5.14 combo will be better.

What size tires are you running?

I just wanted to point out if you are using the xterra rear 4.90 gears like i am seting up for my sas the 4.89 dana 44 gears are a closer match then the 4.88. And i keep getting told they dont exist so here is a link for them 4.89 gears

you won't event know the difference between teh 4.88 and a 4.89

in addtion, i'm willing to bet thats a typo. I have never seen a 4.89. and they name every other gear set made by spicer except the 4.88.

anyway....

The 4.9s out of a xterra are a bolt in? They fit an h233b?

And 4.89 doesn't seem to be a typo i have a reference from another source that shows a 4.89

• Like 1

The 4.9s out of a xterra are a bolt in? They fit an h233b

No they are not bolt in, The spline count is wrong they are for a 33 spline and the pathy is 31 spline. The way you get around this is ether take the side gears with the splines on them out of your pathy diff and put them in the xterra diff, or take the gears out of the xterra diff and put them in your pathy diff. The last option the route I went is put a 3220LR in the xterra diff and bolt it in. Side note If you want the ABS to work and you are going to use the xterra diff use the 2wd version, it is plug and play on the ABS the 4wd version is not.

you won't event know the difference between teh 4.88 and a 4.89

in addtion, i'm willing to bet thats a typo. I have never seen a 4.89. and they name every other gear set made by spicer except the 4.88.

anyway....

I actually bought the gears when they were having a sale for 125. and it is not a typo they are 4.89 gears I have them installed in my dana 44 right now. Motive also sales a set of 4.89 gears. Aslso want to add you are right the 4.88 to 4.89 you will not notice any difference.

Edited by BoneZ