About To Throw In A Clutch

Clutch is shot on my 87... so I am going to throw a new one in, have a really good idea of what I have to do never done one on a pathy though. Just curious if anyone has any advice on issues they have had or whatnot?

Get the truck up as high as possible. Drain the tranny and t-case fluids. Pull both seats and the front carpet. Remove the entire shift and t-case levers and cover the opening into the tranny well. Drop the t-bars and exhaust crossover pipe. Plan on fighting the top tranny to engine bolts. Very long extensions will be needed. A couple of wobble extensions in there won't hurt either. If you have a body lift the job will be easier. The tranny with the t-case connected is extremely heavy. Use a good tranny jack and pay close attention to how the tranny is balanced on the jack. Plan on pulling the flywheel to have it surfaced. You should also consider the rear main seal since you're in there. Having some heavy cardboard or thin plywood to drag the tranny on will help you get it out from under the truck if you are so inclined. I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but if you still want to do it yourself then you'll figure it out.

I recently did the clutch on my 87 and Kove's about got it. You'll prolly need some good penetrating oil, at least two jacks and some large metric wrenches as well as 1/2" sockets and a breaker bar. You might want to pick up some exhaust gaskets too since you'll be removing the Y-pipe. Follow your Haynes manual (you got one, right?) and you should be alright. It can be done in a day but plan on two. I took three since I also dealt with some exhaust and other issues while I was under there plus I had the three days to do it. Good luck and remember that the trans is waaay heavy.

1)You have to pull the starter so at least flush it with brake cleaner (1-2 cans) until clean.

2)The upper tranny bolts aren't bad if you have a 18 or 24" extension, a universal joint and another 12 or 6" extension and a buddy to hold the socket in place from the top side...

3)You may have a hard time finding tall enough jack stands, you want to get the truck really high to drop the tranny.

4)Good time to drain and refill/overfill the tranny since the shift lever is removed. the TSB says 5.1 liters of GL4. I put in 5 qts gear oil and 1 qt of Lucas oil stabilizer.

5)Replace the throw out bearing, carrier and spring as well as the pressure plate. Do it all and do it once is my motto. I payed around $300 in parts for my truck. Talk to Alkorahil (Rob Lacy) for a good price on dealer parts.

6)Inspect the slave cylinder and line.

That's all I can think of to add for now.

B

• 2 weeks later...

for the top bolts i usually use a deep well and a 3" extention then connect to a U joint then use aobut 12-18" of more extensions to get to them...it gives you a straight shot and a lot more wrenching room...i've never pulled seats or carpet to get the shifter out...PB blaster and an impact wrench get the exhaust loose without breaking things...slow wrenching will heat up the bolts and possibly cause them to break...I always wait and do the drain and refill after the replacement but that's your preference...

do rear main seal and possibly rear cam seals and pilot bushing while you're in there...good luck and have fun...I can do one now in about 6-8hours but i've dropped a tranny out now and reinstalled it on my truck(s) alone about 7 or 8 times now...