HELP! Need to know bolt locations on Spare tire

inqydesu

Ok, so I took off my spare tire carrier, took it apart repainted and am now ready to reassemble. My dilemna is I have to sets of bolts that I don't know where they go. I know that the carrier and the catch attach to the body with grade 7 bolts (about 1.5" long?) The question is how does the tire carrier frame attach to the wheel holder (the part with the wheel lugs) and how does the carrier attach to the latch part (on left side, with the handle). I have a set of grade 7 and a set of grade 4 bolts, one is short and the other regular length.

What I need to know is where the grade 4 bolts go (latch part or holder part). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Yes I know I should have labelled before I dissasembled!

Dude, there are only so many places you can bolt things. Work it out. It's not rocket science.

now now... :nono: in rocket science, we don't call them bolts... they're "fasteners".

not being a mechanical genius excuse my ignorance - 4 of the bolts have a 4 stamped on them, 4 have a 7 stamped. What would you call that?

I was planning on working it out if I didn't hear from someone today, pictures would require as much work as figuring it out.

I just need to figure out if the short ones go on the latch part (attaches to the frame on the lower left) or the tire holder part (attaches on the middle). Both bolts are the same diameter and will work in either holes, but obviously there was a reason the bolt was designed shorter.

So if someone has a spare tire rack, if you could go outside and see which set of bolts has a 4 stamped on the top! Thanks

When I took mine apart the bolts that hold the tire frame on were longer and they seemed bigger than the bolts that hold the latch on. I didn't pay any attention to the numbers on the bolts.

I took the bumpers, the tire carrier, the skid plate and the front piece under the bumper off at the same time and put all the nuts and bolts on the same table! To put it all back together I just used process of elimination. Whatever fit thats where I used it sly

Thanks - I did ultimately figure it out. Luckily a fellow pathy owner parked right next to me when I was leaving work.

BTW - a new shot of black paint with some clear coat over the top made a world of difference. Next comes the spoiler!

Thanks - I did ultimately figure it out. Luckily a fellow pathy owner parked right next to me when I was leaving work.

BTW - a new shot of black paint with some clear coat over the top made a world of difference. Next comes the spoiler!

Good deal. A couple quick and cheap clean-up items like that really bring back the youthful looks of the truck. I did my rack in Rustoleum satin black and its great. But I just masked it off and covered the back of the truck, then painted it there. Much quicker than removing the whole thing, just be careful and pay attention when masking. ;)