Anyone Else Think The New Pathfinders Have Some Of The Best Stock Rims In A Manufactured Vehicle Ever?

iPath

And then I woke up and *poof* they were all gone. Stacks of unsold Mitsibishi 3000 GTs on dealer’s lots. New unloved and unsold Subaru SVXs that were over a year old with their window stickers sun faded yellow from age. Dodge Stealths Dodge dealers couldn’t give them away, and the list goes on. Nissan pulled the plug on the ZX but kept it on life support for two years. Toyota fought the longest with Supras but in the end they caved in too.

What killed that golden era that will never be repeated? The SUV of course. The very reason this forum exists. The finicky American public suddenly couldn’t get enough of them. Jeep couldn’t keep enough Grand Cherokee Limiteds on the lot. Nissan started loading the Pathfinder with options, and toyed with idea of starting up production in the Tennessee to meet demand as stated in another post running in the forums. Toyota turned the 4 Runner into a true 4 door SUV with a fixed roof. Every GM divison got a version of the baby Blazer. Every Ford division got a version of the Explorer. I realized the world was never going to be the same.

I got sucked in too and traded my 300 for a Grand Cherokee Limited V-8. It was a wakeup call that made me realize two things. 1. An SUV back in those days no mater how plush was never going to handle like a sports car. 2. The only thing Limited was the amount of time I would spend driving it because it spent a huge amount of time laid up for repairs and parts at the Jeep dealer.

Then an interesting thing happened to me the new Maxima came out with the first VQ. It immediately went on Car and Drivers 10 best list and the VQ won a best engine award from Wards. Suddenly I could get a Maxima that was as fast as an NA ZX and would melt the front tires in a glorious front wheel drive power slide.

I’ve got an abscessed tooth and I’m taking serious pain meds so if this opinionated reply got way off track then forgive me. Or you’ll have to wait until my next toothache to find what out happened in the next decade of my automotive life.

This topic was getting so off track from the original posting that I don’t think it maters anymore at least it was off-topic to begin with.

Edited by dhardison

Yeah sports coupes used to be abundant. Even coupe versions of most sedans. Now you hardly ever see coupes unless that's the primary body style. There's a few exceptions but they've become niche products.

and every GM division had a version of the S10 Blazer in the early 90's. The S10 Blazer, S15 Jimmy, and Bravada. That's only 3 though lol.

Yeah sports coupes used to be abundant. Even coupe versions of most sedans. Now you hardly ever see coupes unless that's the primary body style. There's a few exceptions but they've become niche products.

and every GM division had a version of the S10 Blazer in the early 90's. The S10 Blazer, S15 Jimmy, and Bravada. That's only 3 though lol.

Just glad they stopped that before they went into making Cadillac SUVs. Though, I'm sure they would have sold a ton to the ghetto crowd that can't afford the Escalades.

What I think is :ill: are the new trend of hatchback sedans, they all look like smashed Aztecs to me.

Just glad they stopped that before they went into making Cadillac SUVs. Though, I'm sure they would have sold a ton to the ghetto crowd that can't afford the Escalades.

What I think is :ill: are the new trend of hatchback sedans, they all look like smashed Aztecs to me.

Cadillac wasn't interested in the SUV deal when the S10/Blazer/Jimmy platforms were updated in 1994. And when they got updated again in 1998, Cadillac still wasn't interested. Pretty much the only reason the Escalade came to be was because the Navigator blew up and was running unopposed. Cadillac initially wasn't even going to come out with a tarted up Yukon because they figured the Navigator would fall flat on it's face.

What you talkin bout hatchback sedans? Like the Crosstour and all that?

They don't remind me of smashed Azteks at all. More like the old AMC Eagle wagons, which were badass.

eagle83.jpg

Cadillac was still in the timeout chair for the re-badged Cimmaron. GM said hey you don't want a re-badged Trailblazer from Cadillac how about one from SAAB.

Then an interesting thing happened to me the new Maxima came out with the first VQ. It immediately went on Car and Drivers 10 best list and the VQ won a best engine award from Wards. Suddenly I could get a Maxima that was as fast as an NA ZX and would melt the front tires in a glorious front wheel drive power slide.

This is why I love my car... fugly body kit, heavy 18's and all.