Fianlly got a call back

Guest Bluetribal

Guest Bluetribal

If you met me in the Beginners forum then you know that I am trying to buy a P-Finder. Well I have had trouble even getting a call back. Either people are not trying to sell these to good or they are just getting picked up the day they come out.

Anyways, what I found is a 91 XE with a little higher millage than I would like but it's not rediculously high at 150,000. From talking to the wife over the weekend and then the husband yesterday, I learned that they have owned it since 97, it was stolen but retrieved and the insurance money was generous and was used to replace the water pump and timing belt. It has been used as a third vehicle for the last two years and they are getting rid of it because they can not have it parked on the street in there neighborhood anymore. So here is a photo if trader lets you link. 1023313736.170527694.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.565x269.jpg

Guest Bluetribal

Well the photo does a lot for it. It was not as nice in person. Not that the paint and what not is that important for my first off-roader. But the truck didn't blow me away so I didn't make a move on it especially since the new auto trader came out today. Unfortunately there was nothing in the trader for a P-Finder or a Trooper. :(

Anyways back to this ride. It had some things with it that I am not sure if it is good or bad? It has had only 5K miles a year put on it for the last two years. But also in the last two years it has had a new Brake cylinder, water pump, timing belt, clutch, and all new hoses. And all from the dealer so that is good! He put two new 31's in back on it but it needs two for the front cuz' at freeway speed it pulls to the left. So that is $190 right off the bat. I noticed rust at the top of all the doors, on the inside, but no biggie cuz' it's not like this thing is forever. I noticed gunk under the truck below the engine compartment but normal for a truck that old and the leake seemed to have been fixed. The engine compartment was dirty but mostly cuz it sat outside parked for the last two years. One of my concerns was he never uses the 4 wheel drive and it seemed a little clunky but neither of us really knew how to work it. The other concern was a clunking noice and weird feel when I turned the wheel sharply. Oh and I think there was some tire rubbing in there as well. I know this probably means the CV joints are bad and that isn't that big of a deal. And the tire rub could probably be fixed by cranking up the torsion bars. But it's just scarry to throw $3,300 to this guy and take his old truck..... What do you guys think? Sorry for how long this is..... :hide:

Hey bluetribal. Remember, 'Brake cylinder, water pump, timing belt, clutch, and all new hoses' is $2000-$3000 worth of work at a stealership... Two tires, repacking the auto hubs(maybe new bearings), cv joints, cranking the t-bars, alignment and changing ALL fluids would probably run you $600 in parts if you did the work, and then the truck will have been fairly well reconditioned, and its not uncommon for these trucks to last 250k miles. At least this way you know that the work has been done recently. Also, there is a post about front end clunk here; it may only need retorquing, and along with new bearings/cv's that should take care of it. (ball joints and various bushings could also be the culprit). Unfortunately buying a used car is always a gamble, so I look for cars that have been worked on recently, not 'it never needed any work' vehicles because they WILL need it, and probably soon.

To give you an idea, I just bought a '95XE 4x4 MT with 109K miles in about 90-95% condition (everyone remarks how clean and straight it is inside and out) for $5800 in northern california. It has new tires, timing belt, waterpump, brakes, rear shocks, and exhaust other than the CAT and manifolds. I'm putting in a clutch, new front shocks, changing ALL oils and having an alignment. With parts, tax registration, smog and purchase price this puts me at $7k for a truck that will last me 100k miles. It has a a few creaks and clunks that I will address in spring, and other than that (as long as the tranny holds) it should be fine for a long while. I will always pay some pennies/do some work to insure reliability and peace of mind. While I did not 'steal' this truck, I think its a solid fair deal. Good luck with the search; when in doubt, be patient.

Bernard

Guest Bluetribal

Yeah, I say more fish in the sea! This was the first P-Finder that I have driven and checked out so that is why I didn't make a move on it. I have no deadline to buy one so I will wait for Miss right. Just wanted to know what you guys thought so I could learn from this one.

All I have to say is , when I sell a truck where are you guys!!. A 91 Pathy in the condition stated is $1100 tops in this area. In the spring when/if I replace the motor and tranny in my 91 with "student" rebuilt units, I'll be lucky to $1000 for it. I may be better off to sell the motor and tranny and junk the Pathy.

LOL lgranch. I dont know where you are, but I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area where everything costs mint ! But there is also a difference between a '91 and a '95, and a 109k miles is reasonable, if not low for the area. Tell you what, as long as the truck is California smog legal, come sell it to me for $2k-2.5k, and I'll resell it for $3.5-4K. We'll both be happier than pigs in $hit !! :beer:

Bernard

Just checked out http://www.kbb.com.  Kelly Blue Book gives that year of Pathy in "good" condition with that milage a Private Party value of $2,860 in the San Diego area.

With all the new parts added to it recently, $500 more isn't that bad.

I just ran it in KBB for the Seattle area, and in "fair" condition, needing a bit of work and such, they list it at $2600. But then Seattle has been rated the most overpriced area in America to live in (we beat out the Bay area!), so who knows for wherever you live.

LOL- I just ran my 94 w/ 138K miles, and I still come to $7480 retail and $5135 private party. Good thing I bought it 2 1/2 years and 40K miles ago for $7500 retail.