Towing -Suspension Changes?

WhiteR50

Hello All,

I may be turning my 00 LE R50 into a bit of a two rig. I always hated how easily the rear suspension is effected by weight of any kind, so I figure if I were to be towing two seadoo's I would surely need to upgrade my suspension in some way. I am not opposed to a lift either, but would like to try and keep my existing 255/70/16. Thank you in advance.

Kyle

I don't know how good of shape your suspension is in, or how much money you are trying to put into this, but if its in good shape, and you are looking to go super cheap, I have heard very good things about air helper springs. I have not put them in my truck yet, but since I do some towing myself, and I am about to o a bunch of mods, I definitely plan on it.

http://www.amazon.com/LIFT-60742-1000-Air-Spring/dp/B000BTK8WA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1270269060&sr=1-1

4x4parts.com has rear aribag kits for $150 IIRC. I'd say thats the way to go for towing or loading. You have the added asist for when you need it and you can air it down for the softer stock ride when you have an unlaiden rig.

Also about 90% of the aftermarket springs out there acheive lift thru the use of a higer spring rate instead of a longer coil. I think OME springs are specifally deigned for loading capabilities with lift as a secondary function.

The only issue I forsee with "adding" to my existing suspension is that the truck has 198,000 miles on it. Its in perfect shape and well maintained however can't remember if I have ever replaced any suspension pieces. I will look into the above mentioned suggestions, I may just add new shocks and springs all around, any suggestions other than OME?

Thanks again.

Kyle

*edit* after looking at that amazon link I am very intrigued, I will try and source some install instructions. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Edited by WhiteR50

i tow my boat around with my pathy and four people in the rig all the time during the summer and i dont have any issues, but if you have the money to spare i would just go with some newer shocks. the air lift would be overkill but could lengthen the life of newer components

If you only want to tow seadoos Just get newer parts.

We tow all the times two ATV or Ski-doo. We blow the tranny towing wood.

But the suspension always was up to the task

If you only want to tow seadoos Just get newer parts.

We tow all the times two ATV or Ski-doo. We blow the tranny towing wood.

But the suspension always was up to the task

Parts suggestions? My pathfinder has ALWAYS had issues with weight. A tv in the back would weigh it down substantially. I would love for the truck to ride level with 4 people in it. Should I get new springs or shocks? Suggestions?

Thanks so much

Kyle

The only issue I forsee with "adding" to my existing suspension is that the truck has 198,000 miles on it. Its in perfect shape and well maintained however can't remember if I have ever replaced any suspension pieces. I will look into the above mentioned suggestions, I may just add new shocks and springs all around, any suggestions other than OME?

Thanks again.

Kyle

*edit* after looking at that amazon link I am very intrigued, I will try and source some install instructions. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I got my air springs in, but I haven't gotten my new springs in yet, and I am going out of town next week. When I get back, I'll post some info about them when I get them on