High Idle On An 87

meekrog

I have an 87 v6 se pathy. Been having my idle sit at 11 and more recently to 15 hundred warm. Have my idle adjuster almost all the way out, and did a tune up not too long ago. Any advice and input as to causes and possible solutions would be great. Did a forum search and really couldn't find any answers.

Thanks in advance, Aaron

Edited by meekrog

• 4 weeks later...

Is your throttle cable hung up? My dads truck had a high idle after a shop repaired something and turns out the throttle cable for the cruise control was popped out of the actuator and causing it to idle at like 1700..

Check/clean the MAF sensor, remove the connector DO NOT loose the wire clip securing it, and make sure there isn't a spec of corrosion on the contacts. I've had the problem and a few other idle related problems before and the MAF sensor was always the cause.

If that doesn't work, make sure you're adjusting the correct idle screw - the one facing the passenger side, not the one facing the sky. If that's assured, then maybe swap out the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) for a new one and see if that makes a difference.

• 10 months later...

vaccuum leak.

or, wiggle the wires on your ecu.. mine did this one time.. i wiggled the harness at the ecu and it hasn't done it since..lool

I agree on the vacuum leak. I had this problem when I first got my 87. I had a couple of broken vacuum hoses. You might want to change most of them because they are probably all brittle after 24 years.

James

Anyone ever deal with the thermo element or dash pot? Ran into some info that leads to those.

I've never read about anyone having to change one of those but I've only had my pathfinder for a little over a year. It uses a wax that melts when the temp rises so if the unit leaked the wax out or if the coolant lines going to it were plugged it could cause the high idle.

James

After tinkering with it there are a couple adjusting screws that deal with it directly/ indirectly and I now have my idle down to a thousand when warm and no longer doing the bouncing from 1200-1600 rpm's. So it seems to be more or less one more problem solved!!!

WTF?

Check/clean the MAF sensor, remove the connector DO NOT loose the wire clip securing it, and make sure there isn't a spec of corrosion on the contacts. I've had the problem and a few other idle related problems before and the MAF sensor was always the cause.

If that doesn't work, make sure you're adjusting the correct idle screw - the one facing the passenger side, not the one facing the sky. If that's assured, then maybe swap out the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) for a new one and see if that makes a difference.

After tinkering with it there are a couple adjusting screws that deal with it directly/ indirectly and I now have my idle down to a thousand when warm and no longer doing the bouncing from 1200-1600 rpm's. So it seems to be more or less one more problem solved!!!

If the idle is bouncing you may be low on coolant or have some blockage in the hoses going to the thermo element. Mine does the bouncing when I drain the coolant and get air in the system. Does it still raise the idle when its cold? You may have just backed off the fast idle adjustment. MY1PATH posted some pics of the throttle body and listed what all the screws were for. Search for his post and see if you adjusted the right screw.

James