Torsion Bar Adjustment

martin_nv

Hi Guys, I'm trying to adjust the torsion bar because all of a sudden the front is riding really low. I did read quite a few of the threads on this board beforehand but many of them refer to instruction on pages that no longer exist. So I was going by this one:

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/how_to/torsion_bars/torsion_bars.asp

In figure 2 it says to loosen the lock nut by turning it clockwise. When I do this, the whole thing, including the whole adjuster bolt, and also the bottom nut, turn. I was under the impression that the torsion nut (bottom nut on the top) is welded to the frame. Is something broken? Should I proceed to turn the top nut anyways by holding the adjuster bolt with a socket wrench? Also, by the looks of the threads on the adjuster bolt, it seems that the top bolt should be turned in a counter-clockwise direction (looking from on top) to loosen it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

bolt.jpg

Sorry, I didn't read your link but I have done this many times so, read this if you wish...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17038

What I would do is hold both nuts on the top side, turning the lower righty-tighty (it is not welded in place) and the upper one lefty-loosy. Be careful you don't harm yourself when they let go either. When they do, have a wrench on the lower nut and adjusting bolt and turn either one which ever direction you need to go. A couple of turns will make a fair difference, so sneak up on it. Some people say you should jack the vehicle up, but that unloads the suspension, creates the sag effect and is unnecessary work. Put a little muscle into it and it works fine on the ground. Giving the nut and bolt head contact some oil always helps things...

Oh, the top nut would be turning clockwise to loosen if you were underneath, looking up. :shrug:

B

Precise1 said everything I found messing around with mine. Though I did have to take a piece of pipe and put it over my wrench to get the necessary leverage to get the jam nut to pop loose. If you decide to use something like a pipe to help out your wrench, use the closed end on the nut, I used the open end end ended up with some busted knuckles for my effort.

• 1 year later...

Sorry, I didn't read your link but I have done this many times so, read this if you wish...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17038

What I would do is hold both nuts on the top side, turning the lower righty-tighty (it is not welded in place) and the upper one lefty-loosy. Be careful you don't harm yourself when they let go either. When they do, have a wrench on the lower nut and adjusting bolt and turn either one which ever direction you need to go. A couple of turns will make a fair difference, so sneak up on it. Some people say you should jack the vehicle up, but that unloads the suspension, creates the sag effect and is unnecessary work. Put a little muscle into it and it works fine on the ground. Giving the nut and bolt head contact some oil always helps things...

Oh, the top nut would be turning clockwise to loosen if you were underneath, looking up. :shrug:

B

Umm...so counterclockwise on the big adjuster nut will raise the truck and clockwise will lower?

Edited by blackspawn