Spring Is Here

Kittamaru

Alright, time for me to get some work done on my truck - I have gathered some tools and info and am about to dive in. Tuesday is my next day off, so today I'm gathering some more of what I need now so I have it then, and Saturday is my next day after that.

Tuesday's plan - Routine Maintenance

Air Filter Cleaning and Recharge - K&N

Brake Fluid Check + Fill

Engine Oil Change + Filter (+ relocation kit if I can get it by then)

Fuel Filter Replacement

Power Steering Fluid Check + Fill

Saturdays Plan:

Brake Check + Pad Replacement

Cooling System Check + Service

Tire Pressure Check / Rotation

Transmission Fluid Check (+ possible change if I feel adventurous)

O2 Sensor Test + Replacement (pretty sure it's bad)

Things I might do/am wondering about:

Thermostatic Air Cleaner - mentioned in my haynes manual - what is it and should I check it myself?

PCV Valve Check

Idle Speed Check + Adjustment

Much of this I've done before and seems easy enough. Fluids and such are simple. I am concerned about unknown factors here - the brakes I've never done before - I'm assuming rusted bolts is a concern, any others I should know about? O2 sensor I'm expecting to be a PITA, especially since I need to find my multimeter :D

Any tips/tricks/warnings before I dive on in?

Edited by Kittamaru

Fuel filter is done

Checked my oil today and had almost none in it - noticed a lot of oil on and around my oil filter - figure a gasket or something gave way there, going to check that on Tuesday - filled with oil, figure the clean oil will draw more @!*% out and tuesday when I do a full oil change I should have a decent starting point.

I need to check the two O2 Sensors, MAF sensor. Also need to check EGR Valve, Charcoal Canister, and T-Stat. Any tip's / tricks? I know O2 and MAF are listed, I'll have to search (on my way into work in 5 mins else I would here)

As for front/rear diff - I've never touched those - we got a write up on here, or should I just follow the Haynes manual?

Edited by Kittamaru

I suspect you are going to have a hard time getting to the second O2 sensor... (there isn't one) ;)

The diffs are easy. Use a 1/2 drive ratchet or breaker bar to loosen them and always remove the fill plug before the drain plug. Haynes will be just fine to walk you through. Everything else should be straight forward as well. Good luck...

B

Agreed, Haynes can walk you through the front and rear diff drain/refill proceedure.

The rear is easy, the front takes a little more patience. Make sure to do these with the vehicle level.

Put a little PB blaster on the O2 sensor and let is soak if you are going to take it off.

Some come off easy, some want to fight you comming off. You will find out soon enough :tongue:

Stay away from universal O2 sensors. If it doesnt have a direct fit plug on the end, dont get it, splicing wires is not wise.

Checked my oil today and had almost none in it - noticed a lot of oil on and around my oil filter - figure a gasket or something gave way there, going to check that on Tuesday - filled with oil, figure the clean oil will draw more @!*% out and tuesday when I do a full oil change I should have a decent starting point.

See if it is the oil pressure sensor leaking. It is above/left of the oil filter with a single wire coming out of it.

They are notorious for developing a leak over the years. Inexpensive part (about $30 +/-)

Good to know :) At the local auto shop here, they have an upstream and a downstream one - I'm assuming ours is the downstream (just before the cat) right? Maybe their system has the specs for the wrong year, I dunno.

My current plan tuesday is to tackle the oil change, check the oil pressure sensor, change the diff oil, and do the sensor checks.

All of my sensors and such are the original, 20 year old equipment - should I just go ahead and replace them anyway? How about the canister and EGR and all that?

Personally, I would check things for proper function, and as long as it checks out, leave it alone. There is rarely benefit in fixing something that isn't broken but sometimes there is a lot of grief!! That goes for the canister and EGR as well... ;)

B

Well, I'm reasonably sure my canister is saturated - like I said, I'm running so incredibly rich atm (less than 10 mpg atm) that I have liquid (fuel?) dripping from my exhaust pipe.

I also smell a slight petrol odor in my oil when I check my dipstick... that has me REALLY worried.

I'm going to take down the numbers and methods for checking all the sensors on the truck and upload the resulting word document for everyone to use. Hopefully it'll be helpful to people in the future, having every sensor you can readily test listed, the proper values, and how you get to and test them.

If you want to contribute to that, just post the sensor name, location, how you access it, testing methods, and proper values here - I'm also going to search the forums and how to's to get information, as well as the FSM and Haynes Manuals.

For obvious reasons I'm going to start with the WD21 pathy (since that's what I have) but may compile the info for all of them in the future :)

I wouldn't worry about smelling a little fuel in your oil, after all oil and gasoline do share the same combustion chamber...

Both of my Pathfinders smell of gas in the oil, same with my buddy's Nissan pick up.

It just means a slight bit of fuel is getting past your rings, it usually comes with age. Too much gas in the oil to where it becomes thinned out is a bad thing, but a little bit won't hurt anything.

Aighty, well, the weather is holding so far, so I think I'm going to park half in/half out of the garage and do the work.

I'm going to start with the air filter (since I need to wait for it to dry and all that), then do oil, coolant, and hopefully transmission. After that, I'm going to start checking sensors and such. Yay!

Aighty, well, it's 7:30 pm Tuesday and this is what I've accomplished:

Broke and ordered a replacement Charcoal Canister (seems someone glued the end caps of mine on... so the filter and valves couldn't be checked)

Managed to tear out a tube from the intake pipe (little tube on the firewall side) and can't figure out where the hell it goes.

Oil Change

Cleaned MAF Sensor

I think I located my O2 sensor (just before the cat right?) but the damned thing is rusted solid (like there is no bolt, only rust).

Diagnosed my exhaust system (almost all my gaskets are blown, the repair Monroe Muffler did was only putty (which blew out), so I plan to just replace it all from the headers back when I get the money)

Discovered my Oil Pressure Sending Unit is spraying oil everywhere - plan to fix that ASAP (though, I can't even see how to get at it to take it out... maybe if i remove the passenger wheel and jack that side up a bit so I can get to it thru the frame/body?)

Decided I NEED a body lift kit (I actually changed the oil filter thru the frame/body instead of from the top down... almost easier except for the tight fit... 2 inches more clearance and I'd be golden)

Discovered more rust under the truck - plans to grind/sand that down and prime it Saturday if I can

Driver Side step bar held on by one and a half frame connections (one is rusted clean through, another partway)

Noticed missing bolts on my Transmission Pan, connection between bell housing and my engine, and other places (maybe they aren't supposed to have bolts there, but their opposite corners do???)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Work Completed:

Oil Pressure Sending Unit

2x Oil Change (to flush @!*% out)

Cleaning Buttefly Valve/Intake Manifold

Air Filter Cleaning

Air Box Cleaning

Charcoal Canister Replacement

Fuel Filter Replacement

Work In Progress:

Remove old exhaust shielding (which is falling apart)

Work To Be Done (short term):

Drain, Flush, and Refill coolant

Drain and Fill Tranny Fluid

Install External Tranny Cooler

Determine why fog lights are not working

Repair Fog Lamps

Replace broken sway-bar anchor

Replace O2 Sensor

Repair Rear Defroster Screen

Work to be done (long term):

Replace CV Boots with higher grade ones

Determine why the hell my right front wheel will not align right (3 shops and it's STILL wearing the tire lopsided... I fear the A-Arms are bent)

Replace Exhaust System (from the headers back)

-Includes new cat + muffler, high flow

Fix Exhaust Leak (broken studs)

Replace Valve Cover Gasket (leaks)

replace/repair damage to IFS system (A-arms specifically)

Check PCV Valve

Tests to be done:

Test MAF sensor

Test/replace Relays

Whew... a fair bit done, and a lot left to go! But I'm slowly starting to feel like I'm making progress!!!

Question - the original heat shielding on the exhaust... it's asbestos isn't it... lol...

EDIT - I went back out and started her, let her idle till she warmed up and noticed a lot of white smoke... no sweet smell, so I'm assuming I'm burning oil somewhere... great... lol...

Edited by Kittamaru