05 Tranny Cooler Probs

after some research I've found the 05's had issues with radiator fluid leaking into the tranny cooler and ruining the tranny. You guys know of any drawbacks to bypassing the OE tranny cooler and going straight to an external cooler? I really can't afford a new tranny in this thing

I tell everyone I can to bypass the factory radiator cooler and put a stand alone cooler on an 05+ pathfinder/xterra/frontier.

They all blow eventually, just a ticking timebomb.

Just make sure you get the correct size cooler for your application.. This case, too big isn't better, it can make the fluid too cold.

The only thing you might notice, is a bit of a funny shift, or a lack of lockup at highway speeds when starting off with the vehicle cold (sat overnight) because the radiator also warms the fluid up to operating temperature quicker. That won't hurt it, just will take longer for the fluid to warm up.

Edited by morpheus

I like the old B&M coolers (or similar style) as opposed to the hayden (or similar style) you mentioned.

The B&M have stacked steel flutes around the aluminium to protect it from rocks, etc.

• 1 month later...

I tell everyone I can to bypass the factory radiator cooler and put a stand alone cooler on an 05+ pathfinder/xterra/frontier.

Just make sure you get the correct size cooler for your application.. This case, too big isn't better, it can make the fluid too cold.

2005+ Pathfinders already have a "stand alone" transmission oil cooler.

Some people are adding a thermostatically controlled fan to it, especially for heavy load and towing applications.

• 1 month later...

2005+ Pathfinders already have a "stand alone" transmission oil cooler.

Some people are adding a thermostatically controlled fan to it, especially for heavy load and towing applications.

So is it enough to block the coolant rad section off and run the factory trans cooler alone , or is a suplimental cooler needed ?

I've had mine bypassed since March, using the factory cooler only and the fluid is still nice and red, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to add an extra. I plan to add a temp gauge at some point and then determine if I need an extra cooler. If you tow anything I would say definitely add another cooler

Thanks , guess I'll block off the rad and add an extra cooler with a temp gauge , better safe than in the repair shop dropping mega$$$ . And I sure don't want to hear how this is NOT covered under the super extended warranty .

Any idea on a good cooler , B&M or is there something better ?

I cant' offer any advice on if an add on cooler is enough or not, as I have no experience with them.. all I can stress is don't leave the radiator cooler connected, you might regret it.

I cant' offer any advice on if an add on cooler is enough or not, as I have no experience with them.. all I can stress is don't leave the radiator cooler connected, you might regret it.

No plans for regret , will visit my buddies transmission shop Wednesday and have the rad blocked and aux cooler installed , with temp gauge