Front End Question

Soccerstudd5

I got new wheels put on in October and got an alignment and now my front tires cupping. Took it back to check the alignment and they said it was fine but something needed to be repacked with grease. I forgot what he said needed to be greased, but he was quoting me $240 cause the whole 4wd system had to be taken apart, supposedly, and said if it didn't get done soon then it would start wearing on the spindle.

I flipped through the Chilton's book a bit, but couldn't quite find what I was searching for. Anyone know what it sounds like needs to be greased and if the whole 4wd system does in fact have to be taken apart? I would love to avoid the $240 if it's something me and my dad can take care of on Saturday. TIA. beer.gif

It's a 94 by the way, sorry.

The auto locking hubs have to come off (10 minutes) and the brake calipers also before you can remove the rotor, but that's it. A couple of hours and a tub of grease in the driveway and that is done. Better call back and make sure you know what he said needed attention though... ;)

B

wheel bearings wont cause your tires to cup, bad shocks will cause cupping in a hurry tho, is every other tread block wearing down? is it across the tire even? only on the inside? only on the outside?

another question, how the hell would a front end shop know your wheel bearings needed grease unless they were inside the hubs? its not like they have a dipstick or something to check :)

a quick test of the wheel bearings is to jack the front of the truck up to where the tire is off the ground and see if theres any play, this will tell you if there is any wear, but make sure if there is any play that it isnt the ball joints as well, basically look at the steering knuckle and see if it is moving or if its just the wheel hub. many times in trucks like ours the bearings will wear a bit and will need re-packed and re-tightened, not necessarily replaced, however if when you look at the bearings clean them off, and replace if there is any discoloration of the rollers, if they look good and shiny add new grease and throw back together, i have had best luck with the Lucas wheel bearing grease! good luck

wheel bearings wont cause your tires to cup, bad shocks will cause cupping in a hurry tho, is every other tread block wearing down? is it across the tire even? only on the inside? only on the outside?

another question, how the hell would a front end shop know your wheel bearings needed grease unless they were inside the hubs? its not like they have a dipstick or something to check :)

a quick test of the wheel bearings is to jack the front of the truck up to where the tire is off the ground and see if theres any play, this will tell you if there is any wear, but make sure if there is any play that it isnt the ball joints as well, basically look at the steering knuckle and see if it is moving or if its just the wheel hub. many times in trucks like ours the bearings will wear a bit and will need re-packed and re-tightened, not necessarily replaced, however if when you look at the bearings clean them off, and replace if there is any discoloration of the rollers, if they look good and shiny add new grease and throw back together, i have had best luck with the Lucas wheel bearing grease! good luck

Replaced front shocks and waiting a couple weeks to see if that does the trick. (Be home again for spring break in a couple weeks) Cupping was about every other and seemed pretty even.

The shop probably found play in the front end and made an assumption and gave me a price.

We did test the play when we did the shocks and it's marginal. Probably a little more slop than should be but not enough to make a definite diagnosis. If there's no uneven wear on the tire I may just saw shocks solved it. If/when tire wears uneven or starts cupping, we'll repack the bearings.

Thanks for the help all! As of now I consider it solved, unless cupping starts again.

This is one reason why I try to do all the work on my pathy myself with the help of members here..Damn highway robbery if it is repacking the bearings

another thing is if they break something theyll claim its already broken so you are the one stuck with buying that parts they broke. I know their scam

Edited by PATHRIDER