The Pathy Will Live!1111One

BenStoked

I got the truck about six weeks ago, knowing there was a problem with the engine. Previous owner said "Mechanic said it blew a head gasket." Having a little experience with VG's and what it takes to blow one, I knew the engine was not going to run, unless it came out, and got rebuilt.

Weather has been pure crap, as winter always is, so I hadn't put any effort into a real diagnosis. I knew it didn't have a starter (after I bought it :shiftyeyes: ), so I ordered this one off ebay (:puterpunch:) to put in. Today was nice enough to crawl around it, and I got the starter put in. Obviously, there was no oil in the engine (why remove the starter, and then replace?). I found out the starter I got has two wires, and my pathy apparently has only one (5-speed and auto difference?). cussing, and swearing, I rigged up a remote switch (1/4" quick connects, and some 14g speaker wire I had laying around). did a test "start" (not gonna try to run it with no oil :rolleyes:), and it works. Knowing the PO (or his mechanic) was probably full of it, regarding the head gasket, I pulled the dizzy cap for S&G. spun the engine, rotor stayed still. BEAUTIFUL!!!! BUSTED T-BELT!!!!! (I already knew it, but the test confirmed).

So this thread is dedicated to the random questions I will ask regarding putting a new motor in. I got it from an 89 Maxima, and know it runs.

I just pulled the passenger head off the "new" motor, to have a look-see, and it looks okay, but will probably take it somewhere for a short block rebuild (can hardly see the hatch marks, anymore, and it came out with 180k miles on the odo, don't think it's been rebuilt)

first question: regarding the distributor, anyone have any suggestions on swapping one? got pics to show where it should be pointed for #1 TDC?

Don't worry, there will be more.

Edited by BenStoked

You are about to embark on a very frustrating but worthwhile journey. My least favourite memories were the two top bolts on the engine/transmission, not to mention the studs on the manifold or the little steel coolant lines on the rear of the engine that bolt to the throttle body. Don't make the mistake I made and ASSume that the ring gear on the new engine is the same as the old one! Mine wasn't and it cost me hours of labor. Good luck, you can email me if you get stuck jesse.livingston@hotmail.com

I got the truck about six weeks ago, knowing there was a problem with the engine. Previous owner said "Mechanic said it blew a head gasket." Having a little experience with VG's and what it takes to blow one, I knew the engine was not going to run, unless it came out, and got rebuilt.

Weather has been pure crap, as winter always is, so I hadn't put any effort into a real diagnosis. I knew it didn't have a starter (after I bought it :shiftyeyes: ), so I ordered this one off ebay (:puterpunch:) to put in. Today was nice enough to crawl around it, and I got the starter put in. Obviously, there was no oil in the engine (why remove the starter, and then replace?). I found out the starter I got has two wires, and my pathy apparently has only one (5-speed and auto difference?). cussing, and swearing, I rigged up a remote switch (1/4" quick connects, and some 14g speaker wire I had laying around). did a test "start" (not gonna try to run it with no oil :rolleyes:), and it works. Knowing the PO (or his mechanic) was probably full of it, regarding the head gasket, I pulled the dizzy cap for S&G. spun the engine, rotor stayed still. BEAUTIFUL!!!! BUSTED T-BELT!!!!! (I already knew it, but the test confirmed).

So this thread is dedicated to the random questions I will ask regarding putting a new motor in. I got it from an 89 Maxima, and know it runs.

I just pulled the passenger head off the "new" motor, to have a look-see, and it looks okay, but will probably take it somewhere for a short block rebuild (can hardly see the hatch marks, anymore, and it came out with 180k miles on the odo, don't think it's been rebuilt)

first question: regarding the distributor, anyone have any suggestions on swapping one? got pics to show where it should be pointed for #1 TDC?

Don't worry, there will be more.

Thank you. It'll be a while off before I do it (pessimist in me says late spring to mid summer).

anyone have any thoughts on the sarter wires? the connector is physically, totally different. it fits great, aside from that, and after my test fire, I know it works. I was cleaning up the parts pile from the maxima (got rid of it, shortly after pulling the engine, and various other parts), and noticed the starter solenoid is also one wire. I may experiment with swapping the solenoid, if possible, or just hack off the wire, and splice it into the "new" one.

The plans are, basic rebuild, for now. anyone got suggestions for upgrades, that I would be replacing, any way? nothing way overboard, but if an upgrade is only a little more, while I am in there I am open for suggestions.