Ecu Question

PATHRIDER

Hey guys what should I be looking for in buying an ecu for my 93 pathfinder? does it have to have the same numbers or can I use one off of 90-95 as long as its for auto?

My ECU was just drenched when I pulled it out last week and its been drying in the basement since then. I pulled the top lid off and dried it with an blowgun. It doesnt have any burnt smell to it . Can I still use it after its been soaked in water inside and dried off?

Im going to try to fire up my pathy maybe tomorrow or monday soon as I get the ignition switch installed and shift lock cable..with the ECU being soaked like that could it have damaged any other sensor or electrical components?

Thanks fellas

sometimes, electronics can survive being drenched, as long as they were not powered at the time, and they are properly dried; in my younger days, I got ahold of a few computer cards that were soaked (dumpster diving the local computer shops:whistle:), let them dry for a few days, and they were good as... well, used, but they worked, and were free.

The ECU is a little different, of course, but it is older technology (essentially, mid-late eighties, even tho it's a newer vehicle), so who knows?

if you need a new one, keep in mind cali- or -Fed-spec, auto or manual trans, and possibly 2wd/4wd. aside from that, most mpfi pathfinders should be a working fit.

I drowned my 91 a few years back and killed the ECU, it would still fun, but wouldn't rev very high and was running REAL rich.

I just bought a used on (auto) and I was away. Don't buy a Maxima one, they don't fit.

By all means try your old one.

I would try it, I don't think you would be anyworse off if it didn't work or only worked partially.

but u'd be set if it worked fine

Food for thought, everytime I have had a wet electronic (usually a cellphone) I take the batteries out for 3 days and store in a warm dry place. and they have allways powered up fine after that. (with the exeption of salt water incidents)

Thanks for the quick reply guys.. Ive been drying it for about a week now and the battery was also disconnected and sitting on the bench also.I had the battery fully charged at my local battery shop coz it was completely drained when I got my pathy back

I used almost a can of electronic cleaner then I dried it off real good and every other day I would give it a few shots of air. Im hoping that it works.

Im also going to shoot some electronic cleaner on the plug.I just noticed this morning when i looked inside where the pins goes in ,theres some dried up mud on there

so just in case its fried I can use any ecu from 90-95 with auto trans,4x4 mpfi and stay away from maxima ecu's?

I appreciate you guys help. I was going to give up on the pathy and get a xterra but with all your help I think I can get her back and running again :beer: :beer:

so just in case its fried I can use any ecu from 90-95 with auto trans,4x4 mpfi and stay away from maxima ecu's?

Yes, that is correct. It can't hurt to try to get as close a year as possible though. There are numbers on the top that change per model/year so you can tell that way if no other (someone said they found a list on line). Hope the old one works though...

B