09 Subaru Forester

ac92pathfinder

is it really true if you have to replace one tire you have to replace all 4 of the same brand? my mom had a flat and the tire needs replaceing cause of the puncture. les schwab says they cant replace just one tire cause they dont have one that matches the brand of the other 3 tires and the dealer wants 300 for the tire. les schwab says they will not do it and i also heard you cant have one diffrent brand tire on the car if even though its the same size cause it will mess up the transfer case/transmission.

I know theres some fuse BS you have to go through if you use the "space saver" spare that keeps the awd from imploding since it's a different size than the full size tires. I don't see different brands making a difference, at least the same general tread design would be prefered though. Sounds like typical chain store sales crap(no offence Kingman and anyone else who works at one).

This is true. The tread difference can only be 3/32" of an inch or you will risk damaging the drive train. That's why they won't mis-match tires, different brands come new with different tread depth.

Les Schwab is evil. :) I offer no input on the underlying damage question, but I'm just saying.

You might try calling any local used tire dealers or wrecking yards to see what they have in stock. It will probably require some running around though. You might just find a used brand and size match of similar tread depth, since similar cars probably will be rolling on similar tires. Its worth a shot. Be sure to check that tread depth to be on the safe side.