Tech Gadgetry

Precise1

Like the title says. What is something new, cool and (hopefully) useful. I'll start with a couple of items...

Ignore the 'green' aspect and look at what this really does. It's a OBD2 reader with real time data display transmitted remotely. This has applications for tuning and trouble shooting, not to mention simple monitoring for not too much more than most OBD2 readers.

–Real-time data monitored by ecoRoute hd, which has an expected availability date of March 2010 for a suggested retail price of $149.99, includes vital diagnostics such as: 
• Intake air temperature information 
• Coolant temperature data 
• Throttle position and engine load 
• Intake manifold pressure 
• Battery and charging system information 
• Mass airflow rate 
• Timing advance 
• Emissions

http://jalopnik.com/5440473/garmin-ecoroute-hd-lets-your-gps-silently-judge-your-eco+driving

B

I'm going to stick with 1 item per post as this is going to get jumbled enough anyway. :shrug:

Porta Jump emergency jump starter. I see mixed reviews, but it seems like most bad ones are by people who can't follow instructions. For $20 or so, I'm willing to check it out. Not that this replaces jumper cables in my book, but I have been in the position where I had jumper cables and no one to get a jump from so if this even worked once, that's all I would ask. I actually plan to do a review of these items and will update the post with comparitive information.

Obviously, any else chime in too...

http://gizmodo.com/370875/porta-jump-will-jump-start-your-car-from-the-comfort-of-the-drivers-seat

B

I'm going to stick with 1 item per post as this is going to get jumbled enough anyway. :shrug:

Porta Jump emergency jump starter. I see mixed reviews, but it seems like most bad ones are by people who can't follow instructions. For $20 or so, I'm willing to check it out. Not that this replaces jumper cables in my book, but I have been in the position where I had jumper cables and no one to get a jump from so if this even worked once, that's all I would ask. I actually plan to do a review of these items and will update the post with comparitive information.

http://gizmodo.com/3...he-drivers-seat

B

I have something similar that has saved me recently when my alternator went out. Not this exact one but similar: Jump Starter When my alternator went out, someone was there to jump me, but since it was my alternator and not the batter and I was 3 miles from home, this helped get me home cause I had to stop twice to recharge. Plug it in at home and recharge the system and just keep it in the pathy! Works great!

Cool, thanks for the input. I never thought of that application, but it makes sense. I wonder if it would work with a deep cycle battery like marine or Optima, meaning they hold much more of a charge so would take more to recharge.

The big differences that I see is that the Porta jump is cheap enough to have one in every car. :shrug:

I'd love to know what exact model you have though...

B

Anybody used those solar battery tenders? They are supposed to keep your battery at full charge, even if you leave the car sit for long periods, and have a built in regulator to keep from over-charging.

Anybody used those solar battery tenders? They are supposed to keep your battery at full charge, even if you leave the car sit for long periods, and have a built in regulator to keep from over-charging.

I had one of these little solar chargers in my pathy window all last winter, I wasnt sure about them, but in the spring the engine turned over easily and started. safe to say i was quite surprised the battery was alive. I just kept clearing of my window so the sun could get to it.

Edited by slade420

A co owner of a company I worked for kept one on his local car at the airport so when he flew his plane in he wouldn't have to take a cab. Seemed to work fine for him...

Only input I have is that you probably want to buy a known name one rather than a $15 Harbor Freight unit. :shrug:

B

http://gizmodo.com/370875/porta-jump-will-jump-start-your-car-from-the-comfort-of-the-drivers-seat

B

I got one of them, it's useless for vechiles that the lighter isn't live with the key off. The lighter has to be live for it to charge and on say my Pathfinder, or my 4runner you have to have the key on for the lighter to be energized, which in turn eats the juice your trying to use to charge it. Had a personal experience just this Monday actually with it fully charged in the 4runner (own fault), I give it the big thumbs down but it has a nice little bit of weight to it for chucking it at something/someone.

I almost always have a Booster Pack(the jump pack we keep in the wreckers) with me so it was one of those"we're goeing to the next store anyway" things to give it a try. It failed, jump pack won. Unfortunatly all our cars have dead lighters with the key off... maby with an adaptor to hook to the battery directly as you said...

Ok, thanks, that makes sense. Doesn't sound like it is useful in newer vehicles without electrical additions. In other words, forget it...

I'm still thinking about a clamp style booster pack though.

B

I almost always have a Booster Pack(the jump pack we keep in the wreckers) with me so it was one of those"we're goeing to the next store anyway" things to give it a try. It failed, jump pack won. Unfortunatly all our cars have dead lighters with the key off... maby with an adaptor to hook to the battery directly as you said...

You could always add another lighter outlet or rewire the factory one to run on battery power instead of ignition. I am planing to add one at the back hatch. My Titan has the utility bed with a power source at the back of the bed. It is really helpful.

James

Solar Chargers? How do you know if it is working for real? I left my Pathfinder sit for 2.5 months while I was in China. Didn't expect to be gone that long, but it started right away when I got back. Yes, I was amazed but goes to show that a good battery will hold charge for a long time if there is no drain on it.

I have added non-switched 12v outlets to both Pathfinders, so there would be no issue there, but my wife's VW that hides from the snow and salt would need a tender that the panel could be left out remotely(it hides under a carport and a car cover), and clamped to the battery.