i found a 93 sentra. let me know what you think.

ac92pathfinder

im thinking of getting one once my other car sells so i can use it on my newspaper route. that way i can stop useing my pathfinder. the pathfinder im putting gas in it every 3 days and is costing me 46 bucks to fill. i do alot of stop and go and it kills my gas. if i get a smaller car like a sentra i'll be saveing. my question is any known problems? im debating on a auto or 5spd whatever comes first i guess. anyone know and good sentra forums? i searched and i see alot of forums. anyway just thought i ask. thanks

Edited by ac92pathfinder

The are pretty good cars, depending upon the previous owner. You have two choices for engines, the 1.6L and 2.0L. The 2.0 is found in the SE-R, which is a great car, but hard to find. The 2.0 is known for the upper cam oiler tubs clogging. They clog, cams and possibly the engine, is toast. Make sure the oil has been changed regularly. You can either take off the oil fill cap and peak down inside the engine, or remove the valve cover(rubber gasket), and make sure no sludge buildup has occured. Possilby one of the best engines Nissan has ever made, and very underated.

The 1.6 is not as good. The big problem is the timing chain tensioners. From the factory they were plastic and were well known to make noise, break, and bad things can happen. But not always. Really, they are pretty good engines as well, just dont have much power.

As for powertrain, the 5-speed manual attached to both engines, are know for thier 5th gear pop-out. Meaning when you are in 5th, it will pop out of gear. Its actually a easier fix if you are mechanically inclined, and no major damaged has occured.

There are plenty of aftermarket parts out there for both engines, just gotta do some searching.

Oh, a hard model to find is the Sentra Limited Edition SE. It was basicly a SE-R, but it came with the 1.6L engine. Nice thing is that you get the better seats, suspension and body goodies.

You can try SE-R.com or Sentra.net (hope i remembered those correctly) for more info.

Recently sold a 95 with 1.6 auto. Changed oil and brakes, tires, battery, exhaust. Reliable little car, low on power, but worked well. It had very low miles though when sold though.

When you factor the cost of the gas you would save, don't forget that you now have extra insurance and maintenance to pay... run some numbers to see how long it would take to pay off, you might be surprised.

Recently sold a 95 with 1.6 auto. Changed oil and brakes, tires, battery, exhaust. Reliable little car, low on power, but worked well. It had very low miles though when sold though.

When you factor the cost of the gas you would save, don't forget that you now have extra insurance and maintenance to pay... run some numbers to see how long it would take to pay off, you might be surprised.

i wanna make sure im gonna get something that will last me. i might just get a automatic. do these have over drive?

Yes, ours did. It was decent on gas too... however I am comparing to SUVs so just about anything would be better. Wtach for rust just forward of the rear bumper at the sides. The gas door requires the ignition key to open, keep this lubed. I forgot about one thing, we did end up replacing both CV joints, but they were not expensive and I could do the work myself. Good cars, just don't expect a powerhouse, cuz it sure ain't - ok first gear but second really lags unless at WOT. I also strongly recommend winter tires.

Well that comment was directed to those that live in the snow belt, not sure where you live. The car is lightweight to start, and our car had 13" rims, OE. I found that it could get around ok, but was traction challenged, especially in deeper snow, like when the snowplow doesn't do your street until last or turning on icy intersections the tires would spin to easily and steering was compromised then. I didn't have snows on it, and always wished I had them.

I've owned 12 different B13's (91-94) and a B14 (95-99). You'll get better mileage out of a 5 spd, and they are good transmissions. 5th gear pop out was more prevalent in 91-92 which are highport motors. 94 had a lowport motor, and any aftermarket stuff would be different on the intake side anyway. 5th gear popout was never an issue on the GA16DE motors, just the SR20DE. SE-R cars have a VLSD from the factory, but the E/XE/GXE/SE did not. The E did not have a rear sway bar, but the XE/GXE had a small one. The SE-R had a larger rear sway bar.

On my 91 GA16DE car I avg about 40-43 hwy, can't remember what I got in town though. SR20DE cars usually get 32-34 on the hwy if they've been well maintained.

JDM motors are plentiful and relatively easy to swap for either one.

Best SR20DE based forum would be sr20forum.com or sr20-forum.com, and there are a few GA16DE motored cars on there too.

Edited by veilside180sx

so what would be the best yr to get between a 91 to 94. im planning just to leave it stock. but the 175 70 13 and im pretty sure some have the 155 80 13 has to go. i'll be useing the 13 inch rim but the tire size would be alittle bigger and wider. i'll be i can tear the stock tires up the stock tires doin my route with alittle load and lots of you turns plus i wanna take the turns better on roads.

im looking at a 93 tomorrow for 900. has new starter, alternator, radiator, clutch, brakes, rotors and 2 new front tires. car has 230k. he says the top end was rebuilt that has 130k on it. what you guys think? i seen others with 200k and want 1500. he says he has all the paper work for everything. im hopeing this sownds good i really need a gas saver. heres a pic he has of it. 3n23p23l75O95Pd5Rfa159fb753af52d01032.jpg

No timing belt, has a chain. Im guessing the guides toasted like I said above. That or someone doesnt change the oil and it cooked the cams. Other possiblity is head gasket toasted for some reason. That looks like a E model BTW(grey bumpers).