Gauge cluster problem

Kingman

So as I was trying to find an ignition power source for my electric fan, I touched a connector in the harness shown below. The fan clicked on for a split second and then shut down so I immediately disconnected it. I stopped fiddling with things after that and wondered if my truck would still run. I then noticed that my gauge cluster went wacko. No tach, volt, temp, or fuel gauges work, no rear defroster, and no blinkers though the hazard lights work. The amp and oil indicator lights are dimly lit constantly now, and the amp light brightens up when I shift into reverse. Now back to the tach...it does something really funny. It'll go up to 1000RPM and stay there after a few seconds of the engine running, but when I hit the gas it drops to 0 and then when I hit what sounds like 3000RPM the tach shoots up to about 4000RPM and then flies to redline and then all over the place. It's really weird. I thought I might have messed up my check relay, however replacing that did nothing but the gauge cluster is dead when the relay is removed, as expected. I checked all the fuses under the dash and all other relays under the hood and they are fine. WTF. I did make videos but I don't have any way of connecting my phone to the computer at my mom's. Any ideas on what I fried? It's got to be more than the gauge cluster since the blinkers and rear defroster went away. :scratchhead:

Harness of Death:

harness.jpg

Edited by Kingman

Are there other fuses other than the ones under the dash and the relays up front in the engine bay? I checked all of them as noted and they are all fine and transfer power. :shrug:

I had someone looking through the wiring diagrams trying to track down a common point between the problem areas I'm having and he couldn't find anything to latch on to, so that somewhat leaves me with tracking down a melted bunch of wires that are cutting power and cross-feeding signals. :thumbsdown:

He's still looking but didn't feel like sitting on the phone.

That'll teach ya to just start blindly tapping wires.

Trace the wire you tried to tap and look for any faults in it. Get your alternator checked, if those lights are on in your dash, the regulator might have gotten screwed.

That'll teach ya to just start blindly tapping wires.

Trace the wire you tried to tap and look for any faults in it. Get your alternator checked, if those lights are on in your dash, the regulator might have gotten screwed.

Yes, I learned that lesson alright... :lol:

In Diesel today I'm hoping I can pull it in and try and find the problem. Amazing how most people don't know the hand signals...I had a guy honk at me when I was pointing to turn left and that hand signal quickly turned to an "FU."