'94 Won't start, no dash lights

Guest rallywagon

Guest rallywagon

Have a friend with a troubled '94 Pathfinder V-6....

(I have checked all the basics...battery cables, ground connections, all fuses, all relays, neutral switch, ECU seems to be OK (flashes some codes). I even tried unplugging the factory security system under the driver's seat, but nothing changed.)

Turn on the key and the clock is the ONLY thing on the dash that will light...no other lights, but you can hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds. Head lights will work, though. Turn the key to "start," and I hear the starter relay in the DASH click and nothing else happens.

Any more ideas? Your help is much appreciated!

Guest rallywagon

I'm told it had, over the past months, not started on the first attempt....but after a minute or two of trying it would turn over and start. Finally one day it just would never turn over after a lot of trying.

I have checked the fusible link...it is intact, clean and tight.

I have been using a good tight connection of jumper cables from a running car to jump it...I know I have plenty of voltage and current carrying ability.

The scariest part...the owner said he accidentally hooked up jumper cables backwards for a second when he was first trying to re-start it. But, I can find no signs that it did damage...and it was already displaying the same exact symptoms before he crossed his cables.

I was not familiar with the code flash system on this truck, so I only got the following blinks...I am not sure exactly which "mode" I was in...

3 short blinks- 4 short blinks - 5 short blinks - 1 long blink - 2 long blinks, repeat.

I can't decide what that blinking translates into? Any hidden relays or secondary fusible links? THANKS for the input!

the blinking you are seeing is probably the test select sequence. If you have the same ECU as me (small dial, red light, green light), you stick a screwdriver in the slot and turn teh dial completely one wa7 (I always forget which way, do a search or trial/error). When it blinks 3 times, turn it completely the other way. It will then flash the codes as a combo of red (tens digit) and green (ones digit) lights.

First off, here's the thread that tells you ho0w to read the error codes from your ECU.

http://npora.ipbhost.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=21

The problem with your Pathy is interesting. When you turn on your ignition key, all the dash lights should light up for a short time just to show you that they're working, then go off. That's not good. I dunno about that one.

The starter solenoid wire is prone to taking damage or falling apart. Here's a thread that discusses fixing the no-start problem if you get into it and that's your only problem...

http://65.166.200.170/ubbthreads/showflat....5995#Post317219

Not sure if this applies to the '90 and newer Pathys, but on my friends '87, he had

another fuseable link that was hidden under the battery tray. He kept saying the fusealbe link (the one he only saw) was good. It wasn't until we saw the other hidden one with a flashlight. Though you say you get headlights so...??

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same problem... tonight.

I really need help with this, im poor and work 15 miles outa town so i need to know whats wrong.

I happily got to push my pathy 5 block(1/2 uphill) to get it home. I just drove up for the video store turned it off and then it didnt start again.. my dome loights and things didnt light when i turned them on(this is how i noticed a problem) :hide::hide::hide:

plz some help please... i want to be able to getr it to the mecanik or something at least.

Brandon, if you get NO power, check the battery terminals for corrosion/connection. Then check fusable links. Then check the battery. Odds are it's one of these. If the battery is dead, that may be it, or the alternator may be failing... Hard to go any farther with what you supplied, but thats where to start. Good luck, and post if all that checks out...

Bernard