need help with 89 starter

Scaramoche

Make a long story short, my 89 pathy(vg30i) is having a problem with the starter. Sometimes It doesnt run, i can hear the solinoid click, but it doesnt turn over. if i keep figiting with the starter button(the keyswitch went out, so starter is wired directly to a push button switch) sooner or later it will turn over. This starter is about 1month old, and I have replaced the battery, and put a new pushbutton, but non of this fixed the problem. any help, idea's etc. as a note, i sometimes think that my electrical system is loading down, but this is just a hunch.

there are a few hreads in here about starter troubles. There are basically a couple things to check... do you have constant hot (12+V) to the starter (measure at starter lug)? Do you have 12v on the trigger wire to the starter solenoid when the key is turned to 'start' or your button is pushed? Does your voltage at the starter drop from 12v to MUCH less when trying to start? From these things, you can isolate where in the system the problem is and direct your fix towards eitehr the battery terminals not making good connection, a bad connection in the 'trigger' wire running from your starter switch (key or button) to the solenoid or perhaps bad contacts in the starter itself (it can happen expecially if you have a rebuild vs a new one). There is also information in a thread about taking it out, gutting it, cleaning the commutator and other contacts, etc. I'd post the link(s) but I'm on a different work computer and all my shortcuts are missing

^He said that well.

I always tell people to start with checking the battery, starter and ground connections first, and then check the voltage drop at the starter when you try to turn over the motor. It'll usually tell you if the issue is in the electrical path or on the starter end.

This is always after checking the battery though. I have been suprised by drains before and once by one cell failing when driven 2 miles. The battery only put out 7 volts!! :blink:

B

i had my brother in laws dad look at our hardbody cause it wouldn't start with a new battery and starter and it turned out to be a selenoid, on of the blue cased ones up on the body by the battery. he thought about it we tossed it on the pathy and it didn't work, got a new one on the truck and it started right up.

^He said that well.

I always tell people to start with checking the battery, starter and ground connections first, and then check the voltage drop at the starter when you try to turn over the motor. It'll usually tell you if the issue is in the electrical path or on the starter end.

This is always after checking the battery though. I have been suprised by drains before and once by one cell failing when driven 2 miles. The battery only put out 7 volts!! :blink:

B

Thanks for the feedback folks, I think i found the problem, seems my 12v wire was touching the exhaust manifold, and grounding out, I replaced wire, and secured it. I also verified all my leads, contacts were tight and clean, seems to have done the trick.

Thanks

scara

Thanks for the feedback folks, I think i found the problem, seems my 12v wire was touching the exhaust manifold, and grounding out, I replaced wire, and secured it. I also verified all my leads, contacts were tight and clean, seems to have done the trick.

Thanks

scara

Cool, I love the cheap, easy fixes... :aok:

B

If it clicks, it is the brushes. Even with a low battery it will still engage and use every last drop of powere trying to turn over the engine. I'd suggest pulling it out, quite easy, three bolts. A knuckle socket adapther helps alot with the top bolt! Take it to a auto electric shop and the should be able to get you a new brush kit $25 maybe. Also take it all apart and clean all pieces. Make sure it is properly grounde though.